Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac it’s stuck on an OS X update, frozen and will not restart or reboot

How to reboot my iMac if it’s stuck and will not restart?

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 3:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 4:50 PM

Restart in the Recovery Partition (hold down Command + R on startup) and open Disk Utility and run First Aide on the internal drive several times. If ANY errors appear then your internal drive is damaged and needs to be replaced, no it was not done by Mac OS it was likely a failing drive and the update pushed it over the edge. This is rare but it does happen with major updates.

If no errors appear in Disk Utility, then exit DU and reinstall Mac OS, this will not overwrite your data but will fill in damaged portions of Mac OS. Then restart normally and test.

Finally what year is this iMac???

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 4:50 PM in response to Gerardomanzana2020

Restart in the Recovery Partition (hold down Command + R on startup) and open Disk Utility and run First Aide on the internal drive several times. If ANY errors appear then your internal drive is damaged and needs to be replaced, no it was not done by Mac OS it was likely a failing drive and the update pushed it over the edge. This is rare but it does happen with major updates.

If no errors appear in Disk Utility, then exit DU and reinstall Mac OS, this will not overwrite your data but will fill in damaged portions of Mac OS. Then restart normally and test.

Finally what year is this iMac???

My iMac it’s stuck on an OS X update, frozen and will not restart or reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.