Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone won't connect to Macbook

When I plug my iPhone into my MacBook with USB, it does not appear in the Devices list in Finder.

Phone and laptop are both are old, but I'm sure I have succeeded at this in the past.

I already enabled USB devices in Settings and used an Apple cord to connect.

Thanks for any suggestions!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 7:22 PM

Oh, that's pretty simple to do, once you know how!

1. Launch iTunes.
  2. Wait for your iPhone to appear in the top, beside the media dropdown (Music/Moves/Podcasts, etc), then click it.
  3. In the sidebar, click Photos.
  4. Check off Sync Photos.
  5. You can choose to sync all photos from your Photos library on your Mac, or pick just the albums you need.
  6. Click Apply/Sync at the bottom of the screen, and you're done!
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 7:22 PM in response to HeronDancer

Oh, that's pretty simple to do, once you know how!

1. Launch iTunes.
  2. Wait for your iPhone to appear in the top, beside the media dropdown (Music/Moves/Podcasts, etc), then click it.
  3. In the sidebar, click Photos.
  4. Check off Sync Photos.
  5. You can choose to sync all photos from your Photos library on your Mac, or pick just the albums you need.
  6. Click Apply/Sync at the bottom of the screen, and you're done!

Sep 25, 2020 8:25 PM in response to HeronDancer

Okay—my instructions weren't quite clear. I didn't mean click the dropdown, I just meant your phone appears beside that dropdown. Sorry about that. Your iTunes 12.8 will have the same workflow I show below, although I'm on 12.9.

You click this:

And then choose Photos in the sidebar:

You can see how I've got my phone set up—syncing certain albums I choose (not shown, you'd have to scroll down a bit) rather than all photos on my Mac, but that part is up to you. :)

I totally get what you're saying about sticks, rocks, and fire. It's why I like to go camping, at which point my phone is nothing more than a really great camera.

Sep 25, 2020 9:47 PM in response to iEvan 3.0

Oh, gosh, thanks so much for all your help! And, your instructions were perfect- I just didn't explain very well what I did and saw!

When I click on the phone icon up at the top, as you show, what I see in the sidebar below is this:

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, but I can also find a workaround if you've had enough! :)

Thanks again,

Duncan

Sep 26, 2020 9:52 AM in response to HeronDancer

Not a problem, I've had issues syncing photos in the past, and couldn't rest until it was working right. I know how it feels!

Do you ever sync your iPhone with iTunes? Just curious how familiar you are with the process.

I think I understand what you're saying, and you think you understand what I'm saying. But it still isn't working, so there must be a breakdown in communication somewhere! The screenshot you posted was super helpful, actually. It looks like you're still in what I'll call Regular iTunes View, where you play music, watch movies, and (in the past) downloaded apps. You can see this below—one of my album covers is visible, indicating that we are still in Regular iTunes View. I just clicked the Devices button. Since two devices are connected, a popover appeared.

In Regular iTunes View, my sidebar looks like the screenshot you posted. You'll notice there is no "Photos" option here.

We need to get to Sync Device View instead. I clicked the Device button, which brought me to this screen. Please tell me you see this too!

You'll notice the sidebar is slightly different here, and has options for syncing photos as well.

Sep 23, 2020 6:51 PM in response to HeronDancer

Hello!

Until last month, I was running High Sierra on my MacBook Pro as well. (Looks like that's what you are using, based on the info below your post.)

I do not recall my iPhone appearing in the Devices list in the Finder at any point; however, it'll appear in Image Capture and Photos if you are trying to import photos, and in iTunes for syncing.

Hope this helps!

Sep 25, 2020 1:12 PM in response to HeronDancer

Whoops, spoke too soon- I finally got arouind to actually trying your instructions, and they work up to a point! I plugged in my phone and found it at the top of iTunes, opened it and found it in the side bar, and opened the drop down, but no Photos! TH

There's Music and TV and Podcasts, etc, but no Photos..... I have iTunes12.8.2.3 maybe that is too antique to have this feature? Oh well, stuff like this makes me want to go back to the cave days, when technology was sticks and rocks and fire and landlines... ;-)

iPhone won't connect to Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.