Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PAGES

I'm not happy with PAGES! I wasn't having any problems typing letters envelopes before when using FINDER.

NOW it's like an obstacle course. I've just given myself a headache having to use a TEMPLATE for an envelope. I don't like any of the templates and the font sizes are too darn small and why can't I get a

BLANK ENVELOPE to decide what FONTS I would like to use and the size of the FONT?

I know how to type a letter and how to indent for a paragraph and how to address and envelope so why are you people making it so darn difficult. Okay, maybe being 79 and set in my ways isn't helping but now I really need a cigarette and I had quit.

Anne

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 9:27 AM

The placeholder text is the text that you first see when you use the template.

The placeholder text is the text that you will replace with the text that you intend to use.

The placeholder text is what shows you the font, the font size, text color, text positioning, and text alignment.

When you create or modify a template, the placeholder text is how you establish the text defaults you wish to use.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2020 9:27 AM in response to Annesan

The placeholder text is the text that you first see when you use the template.

The placeholder text is the text that you will replace with the text that you intend to use.

The placeholder text is what shows you the font, the font size, text color, text positioning, and text alignment.

When you create or modify a template, the placeholder text is how you establish the text defaults you wish to use.

Sep 23, 2020 8:56 PM in response to Annesan

We are other users. Like you. We’re volunteers. Not Apple. We didn’t change anything with Pages.

Pages allows modifying existing templates to meet your requirements.

Create a custom template in Pages on Mac - Apple Support

I’ve usually copied the system templates over to my own templates, and then modified those.

I’m unclear about how Finder was being used here, other than maybe as a way to launch Pages.

Sep 23, 2020 11:58 PM in response to Annesan

Hi Anne,

In Pages, some templates contain Placeholder text. Click on it to select it (Placeholder text shows as salmon pink when selected).

Format Panel > Text > Font. I changed the font size from 12 pt to 15 pt.

Now just type. Your typing will replace the Placeholder text.

In this template (Classic Envelope) the recipients name and address are 'body' text.

Menu > View > Show Rulers to see the downwards-pointing blue triangles. They are the left and right indents for the selected text. Drag them left or right.

The sender's name and address are Placeholder text in a text box. You can select that text and change the font size.

Please reply with questions.

Regards,

Ian.

PAGES

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.