Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac administrator username is not being recognised - it appears to be user which is not right?

I can't make administrator changes to my mac.

I tried following instructions to confirm my username, its seems to have changed to 'user' which i don't recognise.

I have 3 options when logging in

PeteandSim (which is the username i recognise in the past)

user

I want to reset the password for PeteandSim but when i follow the post to via recovery and utilities / terminal it doesn't give PeteandSim as an administrator....

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 1:21 PM

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

You forgot your Mac's password. Here's how to get back into your locked-down computer

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/you-forgot-your-macs-password-heres-how-to-get-back-into-your-locked-down-computer/#:~:text=With%20your%20Mac%20turned%20off,up%20below%20the%20Apple%20logo.

See if you can create a new administrator account by restarting the Setup Assistant:

1. Boot into Single User Mode: Start/restart your Mac. As soon as you hear the startup tone, press and hold ⌘ + S until you see a black screen with white lettering. (If you end up back on the login screen after a flash of the black screen with white lettering, enter your password and it will return to the black screen.)
  2. Check and repair the drive by typing /sbin/fsck -fy then ↩ enter - as directed by the on-screen text.
  3. Mount the drive as read-write by typing /sbin/mount -uw / then ↩ enter.
  4. Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then ↩ enter.
  5. Reboot by typing reboot then ↩ enter.
  6. Complete the setup process, creating a new admin account.

Be very careful to notice the spaces in those Terminal Commands.

Once you've done that the computer reboots and it's like the first time you used the machine, except all your data will stile there. Your old accounts are all safe. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences!!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2020 1:21 PM in response to Cotty22

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

You forgot your Mac's password. Here's how to get back into your locked-down computer

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/you-forgot-your-macs-password-heres-how-to-get-back-into-your-locked-down-computer/#:~:text=With%20your%20Mac%20turned%20off,up%20below%20the%20Apple%20logo.

See if you can create a new administrator account by restarting the Setup Assistant:

1. Boot into Single User Mode: Start/restart your Mac. As soon as you hear the startup tone, press and hold ⌘ + S until you see a black screen with white lettering. (If you end up back on the login screen after a flash of the black screen with white lettering, enter your password and it will return to the black screen.)
  2. Check and repair the drive by typing /sbin/fsck -fy then ↩ enter - as directed by the on-screen text.
  3. Mount the drive as read-write by typing /sbin/mount -uw / then ↩ enter.
  4. Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then ↩ enter.
  5. Reboot by typing reboot then ↩ enter.
  6. Complete the setup process, creating a new admin account.

Be very careful to notice the spaces in those Terminal Commands.

Once you've done that the computer reboots and it's like the first time you used the machine, except all your data will stile there. Your old accounts are all safe. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences!!

My mac administrator username is not being recognised - it appears to be user which is not right?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.