Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch bar volume control

I have just bought a 2020 13" Macbook Pro and I find using the Touchbar to control sound volume genuinely inconvenient - a feature for the sake of a feature rather than an improvement to user experience. Now changing volumes takes 2 steps instead of the simple 1 button to raise, another to lower. Is there any way to get around it?

MacBook

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 1:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 6:14 AM

HRPHILIPPINES wrote:

I have just bought a 2020 13" Macbook Pro and I find using the Touchbar to control sound volume genuinely inconvenient - a feature for the sake of a feature rather than an improvement to user experience. Now changing volumes takes 2 steps instead of the simple 1 button to raise, another to lower. Is there any way to get around it?

To add—

Customize the Touch Bar on Mac - Apple Support

Use the Touch Bar on Mac - Apple Support

You can also set the fn key to open the Control Strip

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2020 6:14 AM in response to HRPHILIPPINES

HRPHILIPPINES wrote:

To add—

Customize the Touch Bar on Mac - Apple Support

Use the Touch Bar on Mac - Apple Support

You can also set the fn key to open the Control Strip

Sep 25, 2020 6:02 AM in response to HRPHILIPPINES

In System Preferences > Keyboard, set Touch Bar shows to Expanded Control Strip. That will give you the volume off/down/up 'buttons', along with the other fixed buttons from older models.

You can further customize that, if you want (System Preferences > Keyboard > Customize Control Strip), e.g replace the Mission Control button with a Sleep or Show Desktop button, move the volume controls to the left side of the Touch Bar, etc. In that way, the Touch Bar offers much more flexibility than the old fixed buttons.

Touch bar volume control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.