Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to control volume on Mac

I’ve a desktop Mac, which has been behaving oddly since moving house. I am no longer able to control the volume, which defaults to maximum within seconds of me reducing the volume either on the keyboard or using the system preferences app. I wondered if it was the new internet or one of the other devices connected to it that was causing the issue, but despite updating to the latest operating system and trying with the wifi disconnected, the problem persists!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 5:27 AM

You're welcome.

How old is the keyboard?

Can you test it with another Mac?

Apple keyboards have a full 1 year warranty.

Take it into your local Apple Store or AASP and have them test it.

FWIW most any Generic USB or Wireless keyboard will work for testing and/or continues use.

4 replies

Oct 31, 2022 9:49 PM in response to den.thed

Great, thanks. It’s not an Apple keyboard & is older than a year, sadly I don’t have access to another machine to test it in. I have just started to use the keyboard & mouse that came with the Mac again, so the problem is solved! Now need to look at upgrading the mouse as i changed the setup originally because I was getting wrist-strain with the original mouse!

Unable to control volume on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.