Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Unable to load video" error message ever since IOS 14 update

Before IOS14 i could use itunes to sync videos from my laptop to my iphone and it worked fine. Now since i did the ISO14 update most of the videos say "Unable to load video" "an error occurred while loading a higher quality version of this video". i have 10 videos and over half of them say it, they are all MP4s and only 1min long. I even tried my old videos that i know worked before the IOS14 update and most of them say the same thing as well. How do it fix this? What can i do?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 8:01 AM

Similar questions

51 replies

Nov 12, 2020 8:58 AM in response to peepsrock

Crappy workaround until Apple fixes this:

If this happens to you, download the app Metapho.

Launch the app and select the video. It will say “4 assets” with a drop down button in the middle. Tap on that and you will see some assets the one at the bottom is a video that will play (the original, unedited version), the one at the top which is named FullSizedRender.mov is the edited video. Tap on the video thumbnail and a red loading bar will show up.

The bar needs to finish loading and the video will work again in the photos app. I think you can leave it running in the background. It will take longer to complete depending on the video file size.

This is obviously not optimal but it will get you by if you absolutely need the video.

Nov 23, 2020 10:55 AM in response to Sraisin

Agreed. WAKE UP APPLE! Their tech and media departments do not have an answer yet. It takes me more time to access and re-process my files and then it does to edit and post an entire video to YouTube. I posted an easy fix using an online app called “Cloud Convert” in a previous post. I pull my raw footage directly from my iPhone to my PC. Any files that do not have pictured thumbnails need to be converted. Convert your .MOV files to .MOV files in cloud convert. Somehow during this process it fixes the glitch and I have photoed thumbnails and files that I can now use. I have tried all other posted suggestions from this forum and they do not work for me. Cloud Convert has never failed me. It is free to convert most files. Longer videos may cost you a small monthly fee. Hope this helps!

Nov 8, 2020 12:02 PM in response to ihowiz

I recently spent 45 minutes with the tech department at Apple and they have no idea how to fix this. They even went to their media department with no luck. I had luck doing this: upload your raw footage to your laptop. Go to the Internet and Use cloudconvert.com. It is a free service that converts your videos to any format you’d like to use. I’ve found that converting a.MOV file from my iPhone to a .MOV file through cloud convert makes the files usable and editable. I shoot video for my YouTube channel, the unconventional Trainer. I have to be able to use what I shoot with no retakes. The files convert in minutes and they are editable on my laptop through my daVinci resolve app. That being said, apple please hear me: I do not care if my phone looks like an android with widget. I just want the thing to work like an iPhone should. God bless Steve Jobs. I hope he has been trying to logically frozen until they find a cure and resurrect him immediately. A zombie version of Steve Jobs is better than what you’ve got in charge now.

Dec 16, 2020 8:09 AM in response to Deluxebeatz12

I was looking this issue up because it just happened to me for a 15 min video and I was going to be devastated if it was lost forever. I was going to try the advice to convert the video but wasn’t sure if it would load onto the website so I figured if it was in my files, I might be able to drag it over to be converted. Try hitting the ‘share’ button on your video and scroll down to ‘Save to Files’. It was a tedious process and I waited about 10 minutes for the video to be ‘prepared,’ and saved the video to my files. Once saved, The video began playing on its own again. Give it a try although I’m a few months late 😂

Jan 17, 2021 4:35 AM in response to Deluxebeatz12

I was finally able to get my videos to work, but I have to admit I was a little desperate, so I didn't troubleshoot systematically. My problem was pretty much exactly as everyone described with this other, small detail: after I shot a video the play button was available, but unresponsive. and the sound icon was disabled.

I went to Settings/Camera/Formats and selected Most Compatible

AND I changed the Settings/Camera/Smart HDR switch to OFF

I don't think this is important, but while I was messing around I changed Settings/Camera/Preserve Settings/Camera Mode to ON

FYI - This was an out of the box iPhone 12 Pro and I hadn't done much with it until I shot these videos.

My apologies for the less than ideal documentation of what worked, but I was able to play and edit all my videos after this.

May 25, 2021 10:50 AM in response to Deluxebeatz12

I found a solution.

Numerous video files were not playing on my iphone 12 pro max, despite all updates being done.

My video files that would not play were mp4 1080p 30 fps.

So, on my Windows PC, I used OpenShot Video Editer (I think it's freeware), opened a new (empty project), opened my video file, then exported it.

The newly exported file, once synced into my iphone, plays fine.

When exporting I tried a few different export choices, each one I tried worked fine.

Presently I'm choosing to export using 1080 p 30 fps, so the file isn't too terribly big.

So, it's essentially necessary to open the file and re-save it, using OpenShot.

But I'm happy that now my video files will play on the iPhone.

'Unable to load video" error message ever since IOS 14 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.