Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update for Garageband in OS X El Capitan

My current Macbook (OS X El Capitan 10.11.6) cannot run the new version of Garageband. I've been running Garageband 6.0.5 and since today it won't open. How can I get a version that will run on my laptop?

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 10:17 AM

5 replies

Sep 25, 2020 10:55 AM in response to keanu52

Your current version of GarageBand 6.0.5 should be able to run on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. Try to find out, why it is no longer working. I have been using GarageBand 6.0.5 on all newer system versions up to 10.14 Mojave, until Catalina killed it.

Ii is no longer possible to download the older versions of GarageBand 10. You have to grab the applications during the short window of opportunity, right after they have been released, when they are available for your system version.

What happens, when you try to launch GarageBand 6.0.5? Is there an error message? The most common reason is, that a project got corrupted, and garageBand is crashing when trying to open the most recently used project. Try to move your last project to a different volume, or to launch GarageBand by double-clicking a different project.

Sep 25, 2020 12:14 PM in response to léonie

That's the thing. It was working perfectly fine a few days ago but when I opened it today it gives me an error message about updating the software or OS, which is something I can't do. It also reads that I might have to reinstall the software.

I tried moving the last project file, I tried the double-clicking, nothing works. The app icon doesn't even bounce for a second before closing :(

I have no idea what to do now.

Sep 25, 2020 2:37 PM in response to keanu52

Did you recently install any update at all?

I installed today several updates from the App Store, and after I restarted GarageBand it needed several minutes before launching. There was a small panel requesting access to a plug-in and scanning audio units.

You may want to check the audio units and any plug-.ins you have installed. Older audio units can make GarageBand crash.

Is there anything installed in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/ or ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/ ?

Then check on the manufacturer's web site, if these audio units are compatible with GarageBand '11 and Mojave.

Update for Garageband in OS X El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.