Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Serial number of Airpods pro shows as Question mark

Why it shows ? In the serial number? How to solve this issue

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 11:16 AM

17 replies

Oct 2, 2020 7:18 AM in response to darshan2311

Hello darshan2311,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand there's a question mark next to the serial number of your AirPods Pro in the Settings app. We can help point you in the right direction.

We recommend to unpair and reconnect the AirPods Pro to see if the serial number appears. Here's how to perform each step:

1. To unpair, go to Settings > Bluetooth, tap "i" for your AirPods Pro, then tap Forget This Device.
  2. Connect and use your AirPods and AirPods Pro

If that doesn't help, we recommend to contact Apple Support to review this further. You can contact them through this link here: Get Support

Kind regards.

Nov 12, 2020 2:27 AM in response to darshan2311

I have buy this product in March 2020 and after 8 months in AirPods Pro I have issue of statistics noise and some buzzing sound I don’t know why after that i claim for warranty they found statistics noise.They change two pair. When I check sound, noise cancellation is working but I show firmware/version isn’t update? I didn’t know why after that I reset AirPods Pro but issues still appear and it’s shown (?) after that i claimed again I don’t know it’s the device which is not compatible or what and please let me know that the apple provide me the compatible set with my device or they just replace the set with the old one please help me out of this.

Nov 12, 2020 12:56 PM in response to Renish Sunesara

Hi Renish Sunesara

You, Me & Everyone else who are experiencing this problem are on the same boat. Unfortunately.

it looks like you have got your both AirPods replaced & serviced by apple.

For the firmware software update: Trying using the AirPods for over 10mins, by listening to music or else, put them back in the case & charge it, leave it next to your iPhone connected to WiFi & plugged in overnight & latest firmware software should be updated to: 3A283

For The Serial Number Showing Question Mark (?) Symbol. I'm afraid I can't help you on that. I just hope the next Firmware update will solve this issue. Yes I know it's annoying & frustrating. Let's all pray if Apple can realise this big major problems when we get our AirPods replaced by apple isn't a good thing by showing question Mark in the Serial Number in Settings - General - About - AirPods. Hope this helps.

Take care

Nov 17, 2020 8:32 AM in response to AlexMolinari

I feel for you, you, me & everyone else who is experiencing this problem it's an big problem, I really do hope Apple can sort out this Solution by next Firmware Update or Something. I'm Just Praying The Serial Number Comes Back Again in the iPhone Settings - General - About - AirPods. Instead of Showing That Horrible Question Mark (?) Symbol

Message To Apple: Please Sort this out. We Don't Like Seeing Either Number One (1) or Question Mark (?) in the Serial Number Please. It's Not Right. Thank You

Nov 17, 2020 2:02 PM in response to darshan2311

Please Try:

• Listening to The AirPods Over 5mins

• Un-Pair The AirPods By Forget Device

• Try Resetting Them By Holding The Pairing Button More Than 15 Seconds.

• Once They Are Connected, Leave Them On Charged Overnight, Put Them Next To Your iPhone While it's Plugged in Charging & Connected To WiFi. Hopefully This Should Work or Call Apple Support On: 0800 048 0408. Thanks For Your Time

Nov 17, 2020 2:08 PM in response to darshan2311

My AirPods Update is Showing 3A283 and this is Latest Firmware Software Update. The Serial Number is Still Showing Question Mark (?) - NO SERIAL NUMBER is showing in Settings - General - About - AirPods. Please Show Me What Update You Have By Sending The Screenshot Here Please. I'm Very Stressed Out. I'm Using The 2nd Generation Wireless With New Pair of BOTH AirPods Replaced By Apple Store Recently On 23/10/20. Looking Forward To Your Response. Take Care Guy. Thank You.

Nov 17, 2020 3:22 PM in response to AlexMolinari

Ok 👍🏼 I will try connecting my AirPods now or tomorrow. I have un-paired them over 2 weeks ago (means I haven't used them) could you please send us an screenshot or photo upload to show us what firmware you are using please and please show the question Mark ? Has completely gone in the iPhone Settings.

Much appreciated. Please upload an photo here if you don't mind. Thanks.

Serial number of Airpods pro shows as Question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.