📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS14 - iPhone Home Screen icons

Following the iOS14 update, the 4 icons on the bottom of my Home Screen keep re-arranging themselves automatically. I have a preferred arrangement that I would like to use and it keeps changing without my input. Any idea how to stop this?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 12:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 12:30 PM

Hello Phat-t,

It sounds like the bottom apps in the shelf are rearranging themselves without your input. Have you had the chance to update your phone to iOS 14.0.1?

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists after restarting the phone and updating, you may want to follow the steps to reset your iPhone settings:

Return iPhone settings to their defaults

By resetting the iPhone resettings, your data and media will not be removed. Settings such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, keyboard, locations, and privacy settings will be reset.

31 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2020 12:30 PM in response to Phat-t

Hello Phat-t,

It sounds like the bottom apps in the shelf are rearranging themselves without your input. Have you had the chance to update your phone to iOS 14.0.1?

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists after restarting the phone and updating, you may want to follow the steps to reset your iPhone settings:

Return iPhone settings to their defaults

By resetting the iPhone resettings, your data and media will not be removed. Settings such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, keyboard, locations, and privacy settings will be reset.

Oct 26, 2020 9:23 AM in response to Phat-t

This happens to me either once a day, several times a day, or not at all. I’ve tried to assess under what conditions (WiFi vs cellular, Apple CarPlay vs Bluetooth, silent mode vs sounds on, after a phone call, etc.) this annoying behavior occurs, but so far, I have found neither correlations nor causes. My only hope is that Apple will fix this bug in the next update.

Nov 14, 2020 7:33 AM in response to AlyssaM616G90

It happens to me here and there, all I do is turn off my phone for 2 minutes( if you can live without a phone for that long) and once its back on the problem stops for a while. Seems to me that Apple is saying “we say what you can and can’t do to your phone” again. Every time there is a software update I have to change the setting back to where I had them. Very annoying. The only thing I hate about iPhone is that you can’t control icons like android phones. If you want bottom only, side only or checkered oriented icons, GO for it.. but android comes with plentiful opportunities of malware.

Dec 27, 2020 1:02 PM in response to shaunie_r

I am on iPhone 12 ios14.2 while changing my Home Screen and situating the icons and widgets where I want them, before I am finished the phone moves them and skews and scrambles the icons everywhere randomly, the icons I wanted on the first page have gone to the last, it makes a total mess of things. After you get the first homepage done I wish there was a lock feature, so it wouldn’t change by itself.

iOS14 - iPhone Home Screen icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.