Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 14 iPhone X keeps restarting randomly!

anyone else having this problem since doing the new update? its annoying and it always seems to do it when I'm in the middle of doing something and I lose what I'm doing.

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 12:49 AM

Dear Apple Team,

I have the same problem on a brand new iPhone12 128GB (iOS 14.3). 4-5 times a day the iPhone just restarts for no apparent reason. Most of the time the error occurs right after opening an app.

Hope the error will be fixed in 14.4.

Turning off the iPhone completely did not help.

Thanks and many greetings

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2021 12:49 AM in response to SHRTSTF84RI

Dear Apple Team,

I have the same problem on a brand new iPhone12 128GB (iOS 14.3). 4-5 times a day the iPhone just restarts for no apparent reason. Most of the time the error occurs right after opening an app.

Hope the error will be fixed in 14.4.

Turning off the iPhone completely did not help.

Thanks and many greetings

Oct 2, 2020 8:45 AM in response to SHRTSTF84RI

Hello SHRTSTF84RI,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. We understand that your iPhone X is restarting randomly after updating, and we'd be happy to look into this with you.

Do you notice that this happens when you do anything in particular on your iPhone? If you tap Settings > Battery > Battery Health, what do you see under the Maximum Capacity % ?

iOS 14.0.1 was recently released, so if you haven’t updated to that, let’s do so now. 

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Let us know if that helps. We'll be looking forward to your response.

Cheers!

May 23, 2021 3:10 PM in response to Cheque1

It’s been months and they haven’t responded, yet the problem continues across different devices and IOS updates.

Either:

1. It’s a problem with the devices/OS that they can’t fix and therefore won’t acknowledge.

2. It’s an intentional issue built into the devices/OS for several possible reasons.

The most obvious being to push customers towards upgrading.

In my case it happened on my iPad when I was posting to Twitter.

Got kicked off twitter and now it happens when I’m posting to Gab.

No really. Exactly then and no other time. Can’t make it up.

My faith in Apple has evaporated over the last year over device and censorship concerns.

Dec 1, 2020 11:58 PM in response to jdo_apple

I'm on iPhone XS with iOS 14.2. After updating to 14.2 for weeks, one day I opened many apps, and I shut down my iPhone. After switching it on again, it becomes very sluggish, and will reboot automatically after every 3 minutes. During this 3 minutes it is very sluggish (high CPU??).

I removed the Sim card, set it to airplane mode, switch off all WIFI & Bluetooth, and plug in wall power. After doing all these, the iPhone will still reboot every 3 minute.

Dec 14, 2020 9:28 AM in response to jdo_apple

Ever since i updated my IPhone x to version 14 my iphone restarts randomly.

i updated it to 14.2 hoping this would resolve the issue but it didn’t.

it mainly happens when I am in call or using maps, and playing games.

it is specially annoying when it happens during driving because after restart the app are nit available immediately and i lost turns and I get lost on road.

Also the calling app is not available for several minutes after restart that is also very bothersome.

Dec 26, 2020 5:55 PM in response to SHRTSTF84RI

Have the same problem on an iPhone 11pro max (less so) and a 2019 iPad Pro (more so). Tried EVERYTHING, including a DFU reset and no luck. Did the run around with a support rep over the phone and they couldn’t help, but suggested I “try” getting an appointment at an Apple store. “Try” because the stores are closed and the appointments are prebooked till forever. Funny how Apple haven’t addressed this issue here or elsewhere. 🤔 Time to stop buying their sh!tty products.

Feb 16, 2021 8:14 AM in response to apple-friendly

I found clearing apps caches to help intermittently, though my phone still crashes regularly.

I took the phone to Apple this past December and they implied the issue was due to battery or an app. Told me to do a full reset and start from scratch without using iCloud backup. Basically I lost data and still have the issue, Apple refuses to acknowledge and identify a solution.

Mar 23, 2021 4:03 PM in response to Cmanzer

I've had that story from the geniuses too many times as well. Never helps.

I've come to think that Apple has a bunch of problems with their op system that they just fix as they go. Damage limitation.

We represent the vocal minority that actually tries to network for solutions. The majority just suck it up.

Good times.

Apr 20, 2021 5:41 AM in response to Ibrahim4272

I couldn’t get an appointment at the Apple store because of the situation.

They said the other option was to send it in. 10 day turnaround.

Mine’s an iPad.

It’s definitely their issue (many updates/resets) but they’ll try to avoid taking responsibly by making you inconvenience yourself to the max first - full resets etc.

Take it in and see if you can have it replaced.

One question though:

Do you use social media a lot?

May 23, 2021 3:12 PM in response to CADGenius

It’s been months and they haven’t responded, yet the problem continues across different devices and IOS updates.

Either:

It’s a problem with the devices/OS that they can’t fix and therefore won’t acknowledge.

2. It’s an intentional issue built into the devices/OS for several possible reasons.

The most obvious being to push customers towards upgrading.

In my case it happened on my iPad when I was posting to Twitter.

Got kicked off twitter and now it happens when I’m posting to Gab.

No really. Exactly then and no other time. Can’t make it up.

My faith in Apple has evaporated over the last year over device and censorship concerns.

ios 14 iPhone X keeps restarting randomly!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.