Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac App Store Won't Download Updates

I have a Late 2015 iMac 27-inch Retina 5K with 32GB of Crucial RAM in it. It is running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 with all of the latest system updates to this very date of posting. The internal 1TB mechanical hard drive was so unbelievably and ridiculously slow (thanks to APFS) that I bought a Samsung T5 1T external SSD. I formatted the new SSD for APFS and used the latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.21 to transfer the “clone” of my internal hard drive to the external SSD.

My iMac starts up perfectly with the new SSD, 3 to 4 times faster than it ever did before and everything works perfectly. I immediately unmount the old internal mechanical startup drive after my iMac boots up so that it is nowhere in sight and does not get in the way.

I've been using Macs for 25 years so I like to think that I know what I'm doing. But -- there is one annoying problem that I have that I just simply cannot solve on my own, even after looking at numerous websites and forums on the Internet.

The Mac App Store shows that I have six software updates, one of which is GarageBand 10.3.5 which I need. When I click the update button for any one of these six updates, the circular progress wheel spins for about three or four seconds and then just stops. Nothing downloads at all. 

I have deleted the App Store preference files, cache files and also the following files as recommended on many sites:

sudo rm -R $TMPDIR../C/com.apple.appstore/*

I have logged in and out of my account, I have logged in and out of the Mac App Store. I have restarted my Mac numerous times. I have killed the softwareupdated process in Activity Monitor. I think I've tried absolutely everything that I could find on the Internet. Nothing I’ve done solves the problem.

What is happening?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 4:53 PM

Similar questions

41 replies

Oct 2, 2020 9:41 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

Yeah , the new Supplemental won't download here either.

Download the "new" macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update [a.k.a. Safari14.0MojaveAuto-10.14.6] .dmg file manually here. Please let me know how you make out and if it solves any problems for you:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2015?locale=en_US

(very confusing because Apple has created additional confusion by reusing the same name it used for a completely different “10.14.6 Supplemental Update” that’s more than a year old)

Sep 26, 2020 11:27 AM in response to William Tomcanin

William Tomcanin wrote:

I encountered my problems with the  2020-005 Security Update... after I performed a full restore of my system and documents to the last Time Machine backup before installing this update, everything returned to normal.

I think it's safe to say that both security updates for Mojave:

• 2020-004
  • 2020-005

Have broken the Mac App Store. Not to mention the fact that they bricked a number of users' Macs. I refuse to install 2020-005.

When Apple releases a new system software upgrade (or two), they invest little time in testing updates for previous systems. I have seen this happen repeatedly ever since Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger came out (ie: Security Update 2009-005 eleven years ago). I panic when I have to install these updates.

Upgrading to Catalina is not an option for me. As a musician, I have too many 32-bit apps that I can't afford to upgrade. And I use GarageBand religiously.

How do I update to GarageBand 10.3.5?

Sep 26, 2020 3:48 PM in response to SmackAndToss

Numerous places on the Internet suggest a shut down rather than a restart to fix this problem after logging out of your Mac App Store account. This makes no difference whatsoever.

I've tried everything including zapping PRAM, an SMC reset and numerous restarts/shutdowns. And all this:

• Downloads correctly set to download from App Store in Security & Privacy System Preferences

• Using Terminal, open $TMPDIR../C/com.apple.appstore/ and delete the contents of the folder

• Force-quit appstoreagent process (and all other processes with the word "store" in them) in Activity Monitor

• Delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.pIist.plist

• Delete the contents of the App Store cache folders entering the following using Terminal:

sudo rm -R $TMPDIR../C/com.apple.appstore/*

sudo rm -R ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/*

sudo rm -R /Library/Updates/*

• Delete App Store Preferences and Cookies using Terminal:

sudo rm -R ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.appstore.plist

sudo rm -R ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.storeagent.plist

sudo rm -R ~/Library/Cookies/com.apple.appstore.binarycookies

Nothing helps. Still doesn't download updates, just spins and stops.

Sep 25, 2020 9:38 PM in response to iEvan 3.0

iEvan 3.0 wrote:

but after this one update appeared, it's a no-go...

Which update was that?

I'm starting to think that this is a more widespread problem than we first guessed. In other words, yet another Apple bug that'll never get fixed now that Mojave is almost two versions old.

I can download any software title (except for any updates that show in my account) effortlessly on the Mac App Store.

With Mac App Store updates, the only workaround is to go into my Applications folder and drag the application that I wish to update into the trash and delete it. I can then search for it on the Mac App Store and download it successfully. I prefer not to do that with GarageBand though, because the GarageBand 10.3.5 update is just an application update and I don't want to download another 30 GB worth of files along with it.

I'm guessing that this might be a permissions issue. It seems as though if the application already exists in your Applications folder, the Mac App Store app won't delete it and replace it with the newer updated version.

Disk utility no longer allows you to repair permissions so what are we supposed to do?

Sep 26, 2020 1:03 AM in response to SmackAndToss

I had a similar experience.

I installed the update and immediately my 21.5" (late 2013) iMac became unusable (beach balling on every mouse click; my Time Machine backup disk showed NO backups had been made; EtreCheck showed MAJOR issues; etc., etc.)

I spent several hours running Apple H/W diagnostics, booted into Recovery Mode and ran Disk Utility on both my Macintosh HD and Time Machine backup disks;. No H/W errors or disk errors were reported.

I then used Recovery Mode to reinstall my last Time Machine backup image just before I installed the last Security Update, and now everything is operating normally again.

I have NO third party S/W installed on my iMac -- I have no idea why this particular update "bricked" my system.

Sep 26, 2020 7:12 AM in response to William Tomcanin

I have had both issues (1) Mac App Store won't download and (2) WIlliam's issue with the Mac not being able to boot again.

While William's comment is about the subject of the thread, I'll share what I did. An admin can move the question/answer as necessary. When I ended up with a similar issue, William, I tried Disk Utility as you and it failed. So I tried Disk Warrior. Disk Warrior ran for and found many errors. As I was looking at reinstalling and then restoring all user data, I thought I'd let it run. It completed all the fixes and rebooted. Then it was OK.

As to issue (1), I posted a separate thread about this. It has been ongoing for at least 1 week and as the originator of the thread did, I tried everything posted in the forums and check with Google and nothing is updating the apps.

Sep 26, 2020 8:08 AM in response to SmackAndToss

Good Day;

I have the same problem, updates shown in App store, progress wheel for a couple of seconds than no go. Etrecheck and Adblock Pro Legacy, the two updates shown. As suggested in this link I removed Etrecheck and installed a new version with no issue. Also I have an encrypted disk image file for storing personal financial info and have for a few years, it is quite large many gb.. After the last one or possibly two security updates it suddenly now takes forever to open holding at "verifying Financial.dmg"

Running Mojave 10.14.6 27 inch late 2013.

Neil

Sep 26, 2020 8:22 AM in response to William Tomcanin

William Tomcanin wrote:

I had a similar experience...

I installed the update and immediately my 21.5" (late 2013) iMac became unusable ... I have no idea why this particular update "bricked" my system.

Again, which update are you talking about?

I didn't realize that there was a new Security Update out for Mojave, 2020-005 just came out a few days ago. I have not installed that one. I did, however, install the previous Security Update 2020-004 Mojave a few weeks ago and after that update (which took forever and ever to install), this appears to have been when my Mac App Store problem started. I hadn't even bothered to use the Mac App Store until just a few days ago. The 2020-004 Security Update could have possibly broken a certificate (or perhaps certain permissions or privileges) somewhere along the line because my Mac App Store updates simply will not download.

As I noted in my original post at the top of this thread, I am basically running a newly reformatted system.

Sep 26, 2020 7:43 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

Try the standalone in Safe Mode...

Nope, tried that too (first rule of troubleshooting a Mac).

Like I said in my original post, there's almost nothing I haven't tried short of editing plist files, setting permissions/privileges or changing certificate settings.

And this is not a network problem, either. We have one other Mac running Catalina with no similar problems on it.

Please don't tell me to do a system re-install, I see that so much on these forums. My installation is already a clean one, the drive was reformatted.

This is an Apple bug.

Sep 27, 2020 4:57 PM in response to Ric 2 2

Ric 2 2 wrote:

delete the app that would not download and then try downloading the app again

Yes, I know that and I already noted it in the fourth post on the first page:

...the only workaround is to go into my Applications folder and drag the application that I wish to update into the trash and delete it. I can then search for it on the Mac App Store and download it successfully...

As also noted in that post (to repeat myself), I prefer not to do that with GarageBand because the GarageBand 10.3.5 update is just an application update and I don't want to download another 30 GB worth of files along with it (all of the supporting files) which is probably what will happen if I delete it.

Mac App Store Won't Download Updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.