Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect my Apple TV 4K to surround system without optical audio input?!

How do I connect my Apple TV 4K to my surroundsound? I have an old Apple TV that had an optical audio input in it that I was able to connect to my surroundsound. The 4K version does not have that. Help!

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

Sep 26, 2020 11:12 AM in response to Cindalin

• As noted above, you can probably do audio passthrough via the TV. Apple TV → TV → audio system.
  • Or you could use an HDMI Audio Extractor Box, to bring an optical output in the setup that way.
  • Modern audio receivers will accept HDMI-in for audio, or even allow hub functionality with video passthrough to a TV. Apple TV → TV → receiver via ARC, or Apple TV → AV receiver → TV (all HDMI).

Sep 25, 2020 11:44 PM in response to Cindalin

I don’t know which system you have, but I have a couple of ideas for a workaround.

use your tv as the “hub”, connect both surround system and ATV4 to TV, and the surround system should play whatever sound is shown on your tv.

Buy a Bluetooth dongle and connect to surround system and connect ATV4 to it via BT.

Does your surround system accept HDMI? If so, and you have in/out HDMI, you connect ATV via hdmi to the surround system, and from surround system to tv.

How to connect my Apple TV 4K to surround system without optical audio input?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.