Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error message

I’m trying to play a video from Apple TV from my iPad to my main tv via a lightening cable. When I press play I get the error message “this video can’t be played while the screen is being recorded”. Please help.

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 8:13 AM

Screen Mirroring counts as screen capture/screen recording. That may be prohibited for some apps or some content.

What kind of video is this? From the iTunes Store, Apple TV+, or some other content provider?

Does it work for other videos (e.g. home videos/your own on-device filming)?

What app were you using? Is this about the Apple TV app or some other app?

Is your lightening cable the official “Lightning Digital AV Adapter” with HDMI connection? Third party adapters may or may not support HDCP, thereby blocking content that requires HDCP (any commercial content).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2020 8:13 AM in response to Kushla12

Screen Mirroring counts as screen capture/screen recording. That may be prohibited for some apps or some content.

What kind of video is this? From the iTunes Store, Apple TV+, or some other content provider?

Does it work for other videos (e.g. home videos/your own on-device filming)?

What app were you using? Is this about the Apple TV app or some other app?

Is your lightening cable the official “Lightning Digital AV Adapter” with HDMI connection? Third party adapters may or may not support HDCP, thereby blocking content that requires HDCP (any commercial content).

error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.