Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport basestation 5th Gen - Disappears from network and must reboot to get it working

Hi all,

I have a 5th Gen Airport Extreme basestation. Two days ago it started acting weirdly and I would like some advice on what to do.

I have fibre optic broadband in my home via a ZTE router.

The airport basestation is used in bridge mode. For 9 months it has been working fine, but two days ago the Wifi Network disappears, even though the light on the front of the base station is green. I connect one of my macs via Ethernet to it. When the wifi network disappears the Airport Basestation cannot be found on Airport Utility on the mac connected to it via Ethernet.

If I unplug the power from the basestation and plug it back it, it reboots and is again discoverable on the network on the Mac connected via ethernet, and the wifi network appears again.

This happens a couple of times a day. Is there a way to run diagnostics on the basestation?

When the wireless network disappears, the light is green, and when I look at the wan port on the back, where it is connected to the ZTE modem, it is also showing a small green light.

Not sure if it has started "dying" and I will need to look for a new wifi setup around the house, but hopefully there is a solution... I like using an airport network around the house.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 10:02 AM

If you have an iPhone or iPad, update the operating system to 14.0.1 on each device, as there is a known "bug" with iOS 14 that causes the exact issue that you are reporting.

Power off and restart the AirPort Extreme as well.

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 26, 2020 10:20 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Updating 1 iPad and 2 iPhones that were on 14.0

All other iOS devices were on 14.0.1

When all devices were on 14.0 we were fine. When a couple of the devices updated to 14.0.1 the problems started, so I guess upgrading some but not all devices started the problems.

Should be all done soon, so hopefully the issue will go away.

Airport basestation 5th Gen - Disappears from network and must reboot to get it working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.