Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport dropping signal

My AirPort/Time Machine appears to be dropping the internet signal. AirPort and the Motorola SB6190 are hardwired to my iMac. Periodically the signal just stops, but the modem is working fine and the green light on the AirPort remains on. Two Mac laptops and two iPhones use the wifi.

I imagine it's possible that this is an ISP issue (Spectrum), but if so the modem lights and/or the AirPort light would indicate it as such.

The AirPort must be from around 2012 (I'm guessing), possibly the same age as my iMac.

Suggestions? Time for a new router and storage device?

Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 6:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 6:45 AM

Thank you! I just saw this response (I never received a notice of it). It turns out the issue was the provider as several of our neighbors had similar problems with interrupted service.

That being said, I'm listening carefully to your advice about TimeCapsule. As I want to add a wifi extender or mesh to another part of the house I might as well change out the modem, find a new router, and get an external drive for storage. I don't want to lay out all that cash but I don't want to consider the alternative!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2021 6:45 AM in response to CVG

Thank you! I just saw this response (I never received a notice of it). It turns out the issue was the provider as several of our neighbors had similar problems with interrupted service.

That being said, I'm listening carefully to your advice about TimeCapsule. As I want to add a wifi extender or mesh to another part of the house I might as well change out the modem, find a new router, and get an external drive for storage. I don't want to lay out all that cash but I don't want to consider the alternative!

Apr 20, 2021 6:54 PM in response to CVG

AirPort and the Motorola SB6190 are hardwired to my iMac.

If you have not changed out the Ethernet cables between the modem and the Time Capsule, and the Time Capsule and your iMac in 4-5 years or so, that would be recommended.

If you don't want to swap out the cables, at least pull out the plugs and then plug them back in a dozen times or more to help knock off any corrosion that may have built up on the tiny copper contacts on the plugs and ports on the modem and Time Capsule.

Two Mac laptops and two iPhones use the wifi.

Do these devices also lose the signal when the iMac does? Or, do the WiFi devices stay connected when the iMac drops?

If both the iMac and WiFi devices lose connection, then it would be a good idea to "test" your Internet connection by temporarily connecting the iMac directly to the modem for a day or two to see if the Internet drops still occur.

If the Internet connection remains stable during your "test", then that would indicate that your Internet signal coming into your house is good, and the modem is operating correctly as well.

However, if you still see drops during your "test" then that may indicate an Internet connection issue from your provider, or the modem may be starting to act up.

Unfortunately, intermittent issues are always the toughest challenges, so it will likely take some time and patience to figure out where and what the actual issue might be.

Average useful life of a Time Capsule is about 5 years, so there is that to consider as well. If the Internet connection and modem check out OK during your direct "test" with the iMac, then the focus of attention moves to the Time Capsule.

Personally, I would not keep any data on a 7-8+ year old Time Capsule hard drive that I could not afford to lose, because the Time Capsule hard drive also becomes "suspect" at about 5 years.

May 16, 2021 7:01 AM in response to CVG

It turns out the issue was the provider as several of our neighbors had similar problems with interrupted service.

Then chances are, your modem is just fine. Probably no reason to change the modem unless it is 6-7+ years old.

Sounds like a new mesh system with 2 or 3 mesh access points would be a good investment at this time. Good idea to add an external hard drive for backups. You could also continue to use the Time Capsule for backups with the mesh system.......just turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule. In effect, you will have a dual back up system. Smart move.

Airport dropping signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.