Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport time capsule wifi stopped working

I have an Airport Time capsule which I also use to provide WiFi throughout the house as this provides a better WiFi signal than my Nighthawk 4g router. The time capsule is connected to Nighthawk using an ethernet connection via TPLink Powerline adaptor.

Until Friday everything worked perfectly, Time machine back-ups, WiFi access to the time capsule SSID, all good! but yesterday I noticed that the time capsule SSID was no longer allowing me to connect to the internet. The light on the time capsule is green but looking at it using the Airport utility it is showing not connected. Clicking on the '!' icon I get the message 'Device not found'. XXX was previously part of your network ... etc.

I have powered off the time machine and on again, I have reset the Nighthawk router, but the problem remains. The time capsule has a green light on it again. I can access the internet via the Nighthawk SSID so I believe all that part is working well. Also the TPLink adaptor is shown all green lights meaning it is connected to the internet, is providing wifi and has an ethernet connection.

Any ideas please?

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 2:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 6:17 AM

What happens if you temporarily power off the powerline adapters and move the Time Capsule so that it can connect directly to the Nighthawk router as a test with an Ethernet cable (which you know is good)?

Be sure to power off and restart both the Nighthawk router and the Time Capsule when you do this. Can you connect to the Time Capsule WiFi network and get a good Internet connection that way?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2021 6:17 AM in response to PaulKent

What happens if you temporarily power off the powerline adapters and move the Time Capsule so that it can connect directly to the Nighthawk router as a test with an Ethernet cable (which you know is good)?

Be sure to power off and restart both the Nighthawk router and the Time Capsule when you do this. Can you connect to the Time Capsule WiFi network and get a good Internet connection that way?

Apr 18, 2021 10:33 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob, thanks for your very quick response. As my router is up on the top floor and my office and my iMac, Time Capsule etc. is downstairs I hadn't thought of trying that. So I did as you suggested and took the TC up to the router and connected it direct via ethernet. After a soft reboot (I connected to the router via the router's SSID and an app on my iPhone), there was no change. I then powered off the router and restarted it, and then powered up the TC. and..... YES! it worked.

I took the TC back downstairs and connected up, and it didn't work but after powering off the TP link in the office and turning it back on again, and then power recycling the TC, everything is back as it should be.

Thank you very much :0)

I was thinking that perhaps the 4G provider had done something that perhaps meant that IPv4 / IPv6 was causing the problem (My TC seems to only have IPv4 address) I'll stop there as that is just slightly beyond my technical ability and so is possibly complete nonsense.

Thanks again, have a good evening (here in the UK), but I'm guessing morning, wherever you are.

airport time capsule wifi stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.