Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Change App Permissions for First-Party Apple Apps?

Hi there,

I have been attempting to customize my Mac by changing app icons and came across a strange problem.

While using traditional methods, I've had no issue swapping out icons for third-party apps, Apple's (especially the built-in ones) refuse to cooperate.

Essentially, I don't have permission to modify anything in regards to Apple's own apps (including the icon, of course). When I try to change permissions, after clicking the lock in the bottom right of the "get info" window, I get an error message: "The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission."

I finally, magically got permissions changed for Final Cut Pro X, but have had no success with any other Apple made apps to date.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 8:08 PM

All of the default apps that are part of macOS are protected against user-changes by being permanently set to read-only. They also cannot be deleted. Apple does not want anyone making changes to any object that is considered a part of the OS. In some cases changes made by users may cause problems with OS behavior or compatibility.

Final Cut is not part of macOS. You must purchase it from Apple and install it yourself. That is why you could make the changes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2020 8:08 PM in response to Lon3lyWanderer

All of the default apps that are part of macOS are protected against user-changes by being permanently set to read-only. They also cannot be deleted. Apple does not want anyone making changes to any object that is considered a part of the OS. In some cases changes made by users may cause problems with OS behavior or compatibility.

Final Cut is not part of macOS. You must purchase it from Apple and install it yourself. That is why you could make the changes.

Can't Change App Permissions for First-Party Apple Apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.