Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change the Apple dock icons

I wish to customise my MacBook Pro, I have successfully changed the icons of every other app except the Apple apps, Mail, Folder, App Store, Calendar, Terminal, Settings etc.

I am unable to add myself to the file ownership and there I receive the message "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission." This is odd because I am the Administrator of the MacBook and surely the Administrator should be able to do this?

I could disable System Integrity Protection, but that would be foolish of course. Ironically, it is okay for every other app to accept a new icon but not Apple.

Can you please tell me how I can apply an image of my choice as the app icon for Apple services and apps?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 5:28 AM

here's the apple support "how to" article: Change icons for files or folders on Mac. there's a lot of effort involved to change some of your icons. 

i would first do your "home folder" icons. (note: you can't change the "Documents" folder icon.)

next, you can start by changing the app icons one at a time in your applications folder. after you've changed all the ones that let you, you can start with the ones that take some effort.

for the ones you've been unable to change, you need to make a duplicate of each. (i'll use mail for my example) "control click" the icon and choose "duplicate".

then you can change the icon of the duplicate. after you've changed that icon, you can erase the word "copy" from the duplicate.

and finally, you will notice you've not been able to change the icon for safari. but the method needed to change it requires steps that are not permitted to be posted in this forum. so you will need to google it.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2022 5:28 AM in response to jerrek71

here's the apple support "how to" article: Change icons for files or folders on Mac. there's a lot of effort involved to change some of your icons. 

i would first do your "home folder" icons. (note: you can't change the "Documents" folder icon.)

next, you can start by changing the app icons one at a time in your applications folder. after you've changed all the ones that let you, you can start with the ones that take some effort.

for the ones you've been unable to change, you need to make a duplicate of each. (i'll use mail for my example) "control click" the icon and choose "duplicate".

then you can change the icon of the duplicate. after you've changed that icon, you can erase the word "copy" from the duplicate.

and finally, you will notice you've not been able to change the icon for safari. but the method needed to change it requires steps that are not permitted to be posted in this forum. so you will need to google it.

Sep 13, 2022 4:42 AM in response to AngloRefugee

In future, I suggest you stick to providing advice in the Minecraft forums. If I wanted to download some random app from the App Store by a "developer" whose app is so aged it hasn't been updated to comply with App Store's privacy disclosures (so there is no telling what privacy you are trading away) I would have. I am not wanting a third-party app, or a slightly harder solution found buried in the bowels of gOOgle.

I would like to press copy on an image, click on the app and 'get info' and press in the little icon square and paste.

How can I change the Apple dock icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.