Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.0.1 wifi issues

My iPhone cannot connect with the WiFi since the update IOS 14.1.. What can I do?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 12:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 10:56 AM

Tried Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

and removed the wifi network on the phone.

Same problem when I try to connect to the hotspot on my Ipad.

WIfi on the ipad Pro with ios 14.0.1 is working fine.

299 replies

Sep 27, 2020 12:49 PM in response to henk128

Same issues here with both iPad and iPhone XS. It all started with 14.0.1, with no problems at all at 14.0. iPhone was fixed with complete reinstall/reset (resotring backup went just fine). iPad solved by connecting through other accesspoint (still strange that a previously fine ssid now no longer works..)

Sep 27, 2020 6:06 PM in response to Timwolde1997

Same issue here. Both me and my wife’s phones updated to 14.0.1. Getting unable to connect. Done all basic troubleshooting, restarting router resetting network settings, etc. Sometimes they connect for a few minutes but lose connection quickly. Our smart TVs and our laptops are working and can connect fine so it’s not anything with the router. Very frustrating

Sep 28, 2020 9:20 AM in response to Timwolde1997

We have been having the exact same WiFi issue on our iPhones since updating to iOS 14.0.0. Then we updated to iOS 14.0.1 with the hopes that it would fix this issue like it was supposed to but still no luck. We have also tried doing the "Reset Network Settings" multiple times and forgetting our WiFi network and rejoining it. Nothing is working!

All of our laptops and connected devices in our house still work perfectly, so we know it's not an issue with our router or anything.

Apple needs to fix this asap!

Oct 22, 2020 7:43 AM in response to Timwolde1997

I saw a message from this link https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/651079 and it works for me. Please see the details instruction posted 2 days ago by mattnext below.

issue: WiFi will not connect after iOS 14 update.

Ever since I updated to iOS 14, I could no longer connect to my home WiFi. It was driving me crazy, because every other device in the house is working. I tried reseting the Network Settings on my phone, that did not work. Restarted the router multiple times. Then I finally found this new Wi-Fi feature in iOS called, “Private Address”. Evidently this feature is turned on by default after you update to iOS 14. Reseting the network settings does not turn it off either. 

To fix, Press the “Information” button next to the network name in your available Wi-Fi list. In the next screen, turn off “Private Address”.

That fixed it for me. Hope that helps.

Nov 11, 2020 9:17 AM in response to Timwolde1997

I am having a similar issue. Upgraded an iPhone 11 Pro to 14.1 sometime in October, was receiving constant prompts to enter my network's WiFi password. Some quick searches revealed this to be related to VPN services running on the phone - had one installed from Bitdefender Armor (via Netgear), removed, and issue seemed to be resolved. My wife's phone, also an 11 Pro, did not have this issue as she is not using Bitdefender Armor at this time; all other devices in the home were operating normally. Router is a Netgear Orbi RBR50 with an RBS50 satellite.

Fast forward to Monday this week and my internet connectivity on my phone is not working - connection to our home wireless network is fine but it behaves as if there is no internet connectivity. Rebooted modem and router, no difference, rebooted phone, no difference, reset network settings on the phone, no difference. I had a pending update to 14.2, updated, no change. Disabling and re-enabling WiFi seems to correct the issue but only momentarily. My wife's phone is also experiencing the same set of issues. All other devices in the home are working as expected.

Found a post on Apple's developer forums (https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/651079) suggesting to try Google's public DNS addresses - no change. Also on that forum, a user described changing their security type on their router to "WPA2+WPA3" which unfortunately is not an option with the Orbi RBR50, only WPA2-PSK [AES] or WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] are choices. Router and satellite are running the latest firmware as well, V2.5.2.4.

Checked adding a new wireless network on the iPhone Pro 11 and of the security types available, default is WPA2/WPA3...there is no WPA2 only. I cannot validate what was present on my phone before updating to 14.x but I have an old iPhone 5s running 12.4.8 and WPA2 by itself is an option and this phone has no issue with internet connectivity.

My guess would be something to do with the WPA2/WPA3 security type currently set on IOS (could have been present before, not sure) and the lack of the option on the router. 

I have an email into Netgear for some insight. Fingers crossed as this is impactful - cell reception in my area is not good so WiFi is used for calls. I will update the thread with my findings in case anyone is used an Orbi system too but I would also try the DNS suggestion as well as the security type set on router suggestion - they may fix the issue for you.

Nov 29, 2020 6:55 PM in response to horsecore

Following-up on my previous post -

The post on the Apple Developer Forum has been updated with some great feedback, in particular, confirming my suspicion related to WiFi security type - see below:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/651079?login=true&page=1#650007022

Apple just told me that WPA-2 security is a known issue for ios 14. Their support rep said I should use WPA-3. Problem is my broadcom-based router (Netgear AC1750 purchased in 2018) does not offer WPA-3.

Chat transcript:

Apple:

Security

WPA3 Personal for better security, or WPA2/WPA3 Transitional for compatibility with older devices

The security setting defines the type of authentication and encryption used by your router, and the level of privacy protection for data transmitted over its network. Whichever level of security you choose, always set a strong password for joining the network.

• WPA3

Personal is the newest, most secure protocol currently available for Wi-Fi devices. It works with all devices that support Wi-Fi 6

(802.11ax), and some older devices. 

• WPA2/WPA3 Transitional is a mixed mode that uses WPA3 Personal with devices that support that protocol, while allowing older devices to use WPA2 Personal (AES) instead.

• WPA2 Personal (AES) is appropriate when you can't use one of the more secure modes. In that case, also choose AES as the

encryption or cipher type, if available.

Don't create or join networks that use older, deprecated security protocols like WPA/WPA2

Mixed Mode, WPA Personal, TKIP, Dynamic WEP (WEP with 802.1X), WEP Transitional Security Network, WEP Open, or WEP Shared. These are no longer secure, and they reduce network reliability and performance. Apple devices show a security warning when joining such networks.

Article: HT202068

Apologies, discard that  

Me:

OK

Apple:

Once you change the Security, you will need to monitor the devices for dropping connections intermittently 

Me:

So are you saying there is a problem with iOS using WPA2-PSK [AES]?

Apple:

Yes 

Me:

Introduced in iOS 12.4?

Apple:

Correct 

Is there anything else I can assist with today?

Unfortunately, this may mean that I have to invest in new network hardware, which is not ideal. Others having this connectivity issue should check their router settings per Apple's recommendation above to see if their settings can be modified and tested.

Dec 1, 2020 2:16 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

From our experience, we have seen issues on iOS 14.2 on our devices with the WiFi connection randomly dropping while the device is on standby mode. Users are also reporting issues of inconsistent iMessage notifications. One Reddit thread has countless reports of notifications not being sent for new messages on iOS 14.2, and no one seems to have a fix.

You are more technically minded than I am; however there appears to be a couple hundred people that remain to have wi-fi problems with the 14.2 release.

Perhaps the various iPhone models handle the wi-fi problems differently.

Dec 4, 2020 5:37 PM in response to steve.mccormick2

@steve.mccormick2

Thanks for sharing that information. For reference, I only have WPA2-PSK [AES] or WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] as choices on my router and I had to change the setting to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] in order to make my WiFi stable on my phone again. You may want to tinker as a test - iOS will warn you that it is an insecure connection type but in my case I don't have another choice unless I upgrade my hardware. FWIW, my brother-in-law is using an earlier model of router than mine (Netgear Orbi) that only uses WPA and he never experienced the type of WiFi issues we have been seeing.

Re-posting my text from an earlier post for reference - this is another user's interaction with Apple where Apple confirms WPA2 is a known issue.:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/651079?login=true&page=1#650007022

Apple just told me that WPA-2 security is a known issue for ios 14. Their support rep said I should use WPA-3. Problem is my broadcom-based router (Netgear AC1750 purchased in 2018) does not offer WPA-3.

Chat transcript:

Apple:

Security

WPA3 Personal for better security, or WPA2/WPA3 Transitional for compatibility with older devices

The security setting defines the type of authentication and encryption used by your router, and the level of privacy protection for data transmitted over its network. Whichever level of security you choose, always set a strong password for joining the network.

• WPA3

Personal is the newest, most secure protocol currently available for Wi-Fi devices. It works with all devices that support Wi-Fi 6

(802.11ax), and some older devices. 

• WPA2/WPA3 Transitional is a mixed mode that uses WPA3 Personal with devices that support that protocol, while allowing older devices to use WPA2 Personal (AES) instead.

• WPA2 Personal (AES) is appropriate when you can't use one of the more secure modes. In that case, also choose AES as the

encryption or cipher type, if available.

Don't create or join networks that use older, deprecated security protocols like WPA/WPA2

Mixed Mode, WPA Personal, TKIP, Dynamic WEP (WEP with 802.1X), WEP Transitional Security Network, WEP Open, or WEP Shared. These are no longer secure, and they reduce network reliability and performance. Apple devices show a security warning when joining such networks.

Article: HT202068

Apologies, discard that  

Me:

OK

Apple:

Once you change the Security, you will need to monitor the devices for dropping connections intermittently 

Me:

So are you saying there is a problem with iOS using WPA2-PSK [AES]?

Apple:

Yes 

Me:

Introduced in iOS 12.4?

Apple:

Correct 

Is there anything else I can assist with today?

Oct 2, 2020 7:45 AM in response to Timwolde1997

I had the same issue. Here is what I did. May not work for everyone, but may help someone.

• updated firmware on all wireless network nodes (Linksys Velop Mesh)
  • took everything down (inc. cable modem)
  • restarted in the reverse sequence: 1st - cable modem; 2nd - wireless network

I know it sounds basic/simple, but it worked. After 2 days of trying to fix it, that's all that matters.

Nov 2, 2020 6:39 AM in response to lanstrad1

lanstrad1 wrote:

DO NOT JUST try to shut it off. I had the same problem (keep reconnecting) : Remove it! (Delete the app). And please go to 14.1 ASAP. 14.0.1 is indeed full of issues.

Here is a list of issues that were fixed in 14.1:

• Adds support for 10-bit HDR video playback and edit in Photos for iPhone 8 and later
  • Addresses an issue where some widgets, folders, and icons were showing up in reduced size on the Home Screen
  • Addresses an issue where dragging widgets on the Home Screen could remove apps from folders
  • Fixes an issue where some emails in Mail were sent from an incorrect alias
  • Fixes an issue that could prevent incoming calls from displaying region information
  • Fixes an issue on some devices where selecting zoomed display mode and an alphanumeric passcode could result in the Lock Screen emergency call button overlapping with the text input box
  • Addresses an issue where some users were occasionally unable to download or add songs to their library while viewing an album or playlist
  • Fixes an issue that could prevent zeroes from appearing in Calculator
  • Resolves an issue where streaming video resolution could temporarily be reduced at the start of playback
  • Fixes an issue that prevented setting up a family member’s Apple Watch for some users
  • Resolves an issue where the Apple Watch case material was displayed incorrectly in the Apple Watch app
  • Addresses an issue in the Files app that could cause some MDM-managed cloud service providers to incorrectly display content as unavailable
  • Improves compatibility with Ubiquiti wireless access points

Nov 8, 2020 9:24 AM in response to Timwolde1997

Try this team i found this on another forum... worked and is easy.

Forget the Wi-Fi Network, Toggle AirPlane Mode, then Rejoin

1. Open the Settings app, then go to “Wi-Fi”
  2. Find the wi-fi network you’re connected to, then tap the “I” button next to the network name
  3. Tap on “Forget This Network”
  4. Exit out of Settings
  5. Turn on AirPlane Mode by pulling down Control Center and tapping the AirPlane icon (or by activating it from Settings), leave it on for a few seconds, then turn AirPlane mode back off again
  6. Return to the Settings app and go back to “Wi-Fi”
  7. Re-join the wireless network you were previously connected to

iOS 14.0.1 wifi issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.