Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help (or) Suggestion: Have secondary click open links in new tab in Safari

I have been looking for a solve for this everywhere (both on forums and in safari extensions) and unfortunately I can't find one.

So when in Safari, on a page that you are browsing. Please add an option to have my secondary click open a link in a new tab. Simple and makes browsing much easier.

I am fully aware that pressing the command key while clicking normally does this. However the ability to do this while using the mouse which I am already using makes browsing sites and opening links much more efficient without having to press this key or open the context menu and select open in new tab every time.

I have recently migrated over from Chrome and actually love Safari in so many way except this last one and would love if anyone could help - the chrome extension which did this for me was called 'Right Click Opens Link in New Tab'.

(hot tip: if this one can ever be worked out - on a Mac laptop turn: Secondary Click to 'click or tap with two fingers' in trackpad settings. These things combined make opening new links a breeze.)

Thanks for your help :)

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 11:46 AM

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

Safari Feedback   

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2020 11:46 AM in response to ferocyter

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

Safari Feedback   

Sep 28, 2020 7:05 AM in response to VikingOSX

Yeah I know of the ⌘-click. Just trying to see if there is any workaround the get the secondary click on my trackpad to do exactly what this does. It's much more fluid to be open links straight from my my trackpad without using keyboard as well.

Only a small thing - but makes browsing much quicker.

Doesn't sound like there is much I can do here though - thanks for getting back to me anyway.

Help (or) Suggestion: Have secondary click open links in new tab in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.