Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make Bluetooth & WiFi Great Again

Why does the turn off bluetooth option in the command center not really turn off bluetooth? I can turn it off and then get into my car and the bluetooth turns right back on.. can’t we just get normal toggles like we used to have to turn WiFi and Bluetooth on or off? This option is not very secure...

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 8:11 AM

jorge118 wrote:

Why does the turn off bluetooth option in the command center not really turn off bluetooth?

Because the buttons on the Control Center are not intended to turn off Bluetooth (or Wi-Fi), they have an entirely different function. See—>Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center - Apple Support

But have no fear, there are several other ways to turn off Wi-Fi & Bluetooth that will keep it off (although I can’t think of any valid reason to do so, as it breaks Find My and makes maps much less accurate.)

• Settings/Wi-Fi (or Bluetooth)
  • Hold your finger lightly on the Settings icon, tap Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
  • Hold the SIDE button and say “Turn off Wi-Fi” (or Bluetooth)
  • Say “Hey Siri, turn off Bluetooth” (or Wi-Fi)
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2020 8:11 AM in response to jorge118

jorge118 wrote:

Why does the turn off bluetooth option in the command center not really turn off bluetooth?

Because the buttons on the Control Center are not intended to turn off Bluetooth (or Wi-Fi), they have an entirely different function. See—>Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center - Apple Support

But have no fear, there are several other ways to turn off Wi-Fi & Bluetooth that will keep it off (although I can’t think of any valid reason to do so, as it breaks Find My and makes maps much less accurate.)

• Settings/Wi-Fi (or Bluetooth)
  • Hold your finger lightly on the Settings icon, tap Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
  • Hold the SIDE button and say “Turn off Wi-Fi” (or Bluetooth)
  • Say “Hey Siri, turn off Bluetooth” (or Wi-Fi)

Sep 28, 2020 8:05 AM in response to jorge118

jorge118 wrote:

Why does the turn off bluetooth option in the command center not really turn off bluetooth? I can turn it off and then get into my car and the bluetooth turns right back on.. can’t we just get normal toggles like we used to have to turn WiFi and Bluetooth on or off? This option is not very secure...

You still have those toggles. They are in Settings>BlueTooth and Settings>WiFi. The toggles in the Control Center are designed to temporarily disconnect you from a network. You will be reconnected once you change networks or the next day. If you turn the features off in Settings, they will stay turned off until you go in and turn them on again.

Sep 28, 2020 8:37 AM in response to jorge118

The button in the control center is not an OFF button. It is a DISCONNECT button. It disconnects the current network only. It leaves Wi-Fi/Bluetooth on; the phone will connect to other networks, just not the one it was connected to. And if you leave the vicinity of the disconnected network or device it will reconnect when you return, or at 6AM the next day. The change was made 3 years ago.

Make Bluetooth & WiFi Great Again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.