Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Control Panel - WiFi & Bluetooth.

I understand that I can not longer turn off WiFi and Bluetooth from control panel, only disconnect them. My question is: WHY?

what purpose is served by disconnecting from existing networks, bluetooth devices? wasn't that purpose served by turning off the functionality?

What possible reason is there to just disconnect while leaving the functionality in tact?

iPhone 14, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 1:05 PM

7 replies

Oct 1, 2023 3:29 PM in response to jnckraft

jnckraft wrote:

Mainly because that can't be done from control panel on the lock screen, it requires me to open my phone and then perform the actions suggested.

We get you don't like and don't understand why anyone could possibly use the phone any differently than you do. The bottom line is that no one here can change it. Tell Apple what you think:

Product Feedback - Apple

Sep 14, 2023 1:39 PM in response to jnckraft

jnckraft wrote:

I understand that I can not longer turn off WiFi and Bluetooth from control panel, only disconnect them. My question is: WHY?

what purpose is served by disconnecting from existing networks, bluetooth devices? wasn't that purpose served by turning off the functionality?

It's very useful, especially the ability to disconnect from WiFi. iPhones will continue to try to connect to WiFi if it's available at all, even if the signal is weak or even if the WiFi network itself is not connected to the internet. The ability to quickly disconnect from WiFi so that the phone starts using cellular is wonderful. I don't want to turn WiFi off entirely because it's improves navigation accuracy. And, in a while, I may move to a different location with better WiFi.

In the past, you had to go into Settings>WiFi and turn it off. And then, remember to turn it back on again later. As there is almost never a reason to completely turn off WiFi or BT, it makes far more sense to make those the more onerous settings to access.

Sep 15, 2023 5:03 AM in response to jnckraft

jnckraft wrote:

Thanks for your answer but you could’ve just said, “There’s really not a good reason”. The only piece that makes sense, “forget to turn it back on later” would easily be corrected if we could still do so in control panel.

Being able to turn it back on in the Control Panel would not cause it to reconnect to WiFi automatically, the way it does now.

Control Panel - WiFi & Bluetooth.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.