Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stalls, freezes, slow logins and more with macOS update 2020-005 (10.14.6)

Oh lordy, the huge problems with the 2020-005 security update (Bringing Mojave up to 10.14.6)

Rather than retype what has happened to my Mac after installing the security update for Mojave, I'm providing a link that I found tonight. It describes my woes perfectly. I thought my hardware was dying. RAM is low. Logins can now take a half hour or more, and everything seems to stall and freeze. Hey, Apple! You seeing this?:

https://mrmacintosh.com/mojave-2020-005-security-update-causing-major-problems-updated/?subscribe=success#blog_subscription-3

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 8:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 8:56 PM

FYI: These are user-only communities. This is not Apple Support. if you need to contact Apple Support, then contact product and tech supportContacting Apple for support and service includes international calling numbers.

The Apple Support Communities only provides help for users of Apple products. Apple does not read theae forums. If you wish to provide feedback to Apple, then go to Apple Feedback. Thank you for your understanding and support.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2020 8:56 PM in response to Michael Goettee

FYI: These are user-only communities. This is not Apple Support. if you need to contact Apple Support, then contact product and tech supportContacting Apple for support and service includes international calling numbers.

The Apple Support Communities only provides help for users of Apple products. Apple does not read theae forums. If you wish to provide feedback to Apple, then go to Apple Feedback. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Nov 11, 2020 6:37 AM in response to Quentin Hall

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

You can save us asking dozens of questions by submitting a report from this App for us to look at…

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The important part is...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Oct 2, 2020 2:46 PM in response to Michael Goettee

The same Mr. Macintosh blog announced today that Apple had issued a SUPPLEMENTAL update for 10.14.6 which I installed this morning. Night and day difference in performance. I've been using the Mac all day, trying many of the things that had bogged down. As soon as the required restart was done, things zoomed around as they hadn't in many weeks, and certainly after that most recent bad update. Check your updates in System Preferences if you're a victim of that mess of an update that started this and install the newer "supplemental" update.

The same link I included in my initial post here has been updated and to include within the page a NEW link with the fix information.

Nov 11, 2020 1:40 AM in response to BDAqua

Alas, I'm up to about machine 10 now of rebuilding from scratch (backup, wipe, fresh MacOS X) as the Supplimentary Upgrade didn't solve the computers being slow.

Reinstalling over the top of an existing SLOW iMac doesn't help, they slowly return to being slow. RAM use is better after Supplimentary Upgrade but there's something which creeps back and makes Applications "Not Respond".

The only solution I'm finding is backup/erase/fresh MacOS X/ restore data backup and then fluff about putting all the services (Passwords) back. Time consuming and I wish there was a software fix for the software break.

Rung Apple and they said "Put that up on the Feedback Pages". Great. I hope some one reads my post there and might think "So there's still performance issues...... right...., we still support that MacOS X, let's revisit that....".

Nov 13, 2020 6:17 PM in response to BDAqua

Have tried the above and no success - everything comes up "clean".

I DO notice that instead of the usual "rainbow" coloured beach ball that what I see during the stalls (hangs) is a dark blue & light blue beach ball.

I see Apple has again released ANOTHER Mojove 10.14.6, Security Update 2020-006, new Safari and Supplemental update yesterday (Nov 13th 2020). To do all 3 of those, I'm presuming they have found there's still some issues out there. I'll be applying those to a "spinning beach ball" MacOS X 10.14.6 which had that bad Security Update 2020-005 and then "current" Safari loaded.

It's not been a pleasant experience.

The only machines I've had success with have been the ones I completely wiped and started fresh after reformatting with APFS (instead of the "converted from HFS+ to APFS") - which "maybe" is a part of the entire story here. I've never had an issue with a machine which came out of the factory with APFS formatted hard drive from day one (compared with it "self reformatting - using some clever Apple technology which converted LIVE HFS+ to APFS on the fly").

Stalls, freezes, slow logins and more with macOS update 2020-005 (10.14.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.