Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security Update 2021-008 Catalina - restart freezes despite reloading OS

My iMac iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) is showing the above security update but freezes when restarting. I've reloaded the OS but to no avail - have other users had similar problems? Is there a simple fix?

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 8:34 AM

Restart computer in Safe Mode. Shift key immediately at restart. T=It will do a repair disk, clear cache files and eliminate third party software, extensions and fonts from loading. The boot time will be slow - normal

This may or may not allow the update to complete - hopefully successfully.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2021 8:34 AM in response to kevin4bowen

Restart computer in Safe Mode. Shift key immediately at restart. T=It will do a repair disk, clear cache files and eliminate third party software, extensions and fonts from loading. The boot time will be slow - normal

This may or may not allow the update to complete - hopefully successfully.

Dec 24, 2021 10:45 AM in response to kevin4bowen

I have been trying for months to. install security updates for externals running 10.14 and 10.15 (the 008 you mention) and the “security loads” broke the disks. MULTIPLE disks. Yes i did follow the “normal” procedures and preparations, then tried to install via System Preferences (didn’t work) and using the direct webpage download of installer packages (didn’t work). Since they install fine but the final boot stays stuck on the white on black apple logo, I’m convinced even more apple is weeding out SDHD external boot disk (they removed SDHD ports from mac minis and laptop line ups haven’t they?)

I even tried a brand new blank high speed/quality SDHD installing Catalina then security 008, same frozen white apple logo!

so yes. i’ve had the same prob for months on trying every possible means of security install. Same outcome no matter what appropriate version of sec update to OS is used and properly applied.

Disk Utility shows bad BSD flags but “appears normal” and no fix needed. I didn’t try terminal commands in single user, I’m sick and tired of the time I wasted already.

I launched from a clean 10.14 and copied my personal user folder and my installed apps off, and am presently re installing CLEAN from downloaded installer, erasing first.... AGAIN. Since installer run from 10.14 does not allow install over existing (Apple broken) 10.15, I can delete system and library folders or just ERASE FULLY and install again.

Complete reformat it is... AGAIN

BUT THIS TIME I WILL IGNORE ANY FUTURE UPDATE/INSTALL APPLE TRIES TO PUSH ON ME.

Dec 24, 2021 10:58 AM in response to kevin4bowen

kevin4bowen wrote:

Finally resorted to a factory reset and that fixed the issue and was able to download the update after first updating with the preceding updates. Thanks for your suggestions

In early 2000’s my M.O. was to begin using external disks to install/use any new OS. In the simple days I even ran the OS from external, while I kept all my data/prefs aliased safe other disk. I was ok with the slight slower read writes that way. Now with SSD’s and thunderbolt lines, it’s not issue.

If something fails, I can get a new external or erase and reinstall. The OS internal is the original the macbook pro came with, and I intend to keep it that way (5 year old laptop, 10.10)

When I want the nicer old interface just to type up a letter, use an old but fine licensed software, or browse the net, in goes older OS. For apps that only run Catalina, in goes disk. Failures like this security crappppp are contained to that disk.

ITS A TRAVESTY apple has removed all SDHD ports on new lines, and as far as I’m concerned looks like they are coding out their use with these “updates”. I won’t be “security updates “ in the future.

Security Update 2021-008 Catalina - restart freezes despite reloading OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.