Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest security update frozen

The settings appeared with the latest macOS security update. I pressed download and install, it seems to be frozen. It has been sitting idle for about two hours without progressing. Do I just turn the computer off and try to install the update again? Will that mess up the OS? Thanks.

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 2:36 AM

I would let it do its work for some time.

If you have things plugged in I'd disconnect everything apart from the power plug. Don't know if they interfere in some way but you never know.

If its like that for at least 8 hours I would press the power button until the screen turns black and restart the machine if possible.

If not, your MacOS version is probably corrupted. In this case you can use this to reinstall MacOS (possibly without loosing any personal data).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2021 2:36 AM in response to ap3st3r

I would let it do its work for some time.

If you have things plugged in I'd disconnect everything apart from the power plug. Don't know if they interfere in some way but you never know.

If its like that for at least 8 hours I would press the power button until the screen turns black and restart the machine if possible.

If not, your MacOS version is probably corrupted. In this case you can use this to reinstall MacOS (possibly without loosing any personal data).

Latest security update frozen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.