Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change ID

Hi.

I was wondering, if I completely change my Apple ID, log in with a new one, will I be able to just normally back up my Whats App on it? I have a working ID now, but for personal reasons I want to change it with another one - I have no "purchased" apps on my iPhone, just a Whats App that is backed up on that certain iCloud. It is important to save it, since I have several years of chats that I need to have on a new one also.

What would be your recommendation?

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 6:58 AM

Instead of creating a new Apple ID, I suggest you do a name change on your existing Apple ID. If you associate WhatsApp with a new ID, you could lose all your existing data. If you make a new ID, you won't be able to access data backed up in iCloud. Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.        

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support    I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2020 6:58 AM in response to olaf130

Instead of creating a new Apple ID, I suggest you do a name change on your existing Apple ID. If you associate WhatsApp with a new ID, you could lose all your existing data. If you make a new ID, you won't be able to access data backed up in iCloud. Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.        

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support    I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Change ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.