You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ScreenShots are dark

Iphone New Dec 2018 Xs Max (duel camera)

After upgrading to 14.0 (now 14.0.1) when I take a screen shot the photo comes out dark. See photo examples. This is very frustrating as I use this feature multiple times a day.

It's the same with all app's. Just now I opened up Chrome and it was a generic Costco promotion. I took two screen shots. I had to adjust one to make it lighter in contrast.

Do you know of a setting for this? Thus far I have not been able to find one.

Top photo all natural, no editing. next photo I edited the exposure to brighten it up. What a waste of time to have to that

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 5:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 2:32 PM

Hey NT-NorthBay,

It sounds like you have an issue with your screenshots appearing too dim. Do you have the same issue when you disable auto-brightness? Check out this article to Adjust the brightness on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

"About brightness levels

iOS devices use an ambient light sensor to adjust brightness levels based on the light conditions around you. The sensor lowers brightness in dark locations and raises brightness in light locations. The auto-brightness feature is on by default.

When auto-brightness is on, you'll notice that the brightness slider on your device moves according to changing light conditions.

You can turn auto-brightness on or off in Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size."

Once you have disabled auto-brightness, Restart your iPhone and test it again.

Does this happen with other pictures you take with your device or only with screenshots?

When you send the screenshots to someone, do they appear to be dark for them as well?

Does this happen with screenshots on all apps or a specific app?

Thanks!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 5, 2020 2:32 PM in response to NT-NorthBay

Hey NT-NorthBay,

It sounds like you have an issue with your screenshots appearing too dim. Do you have the same issue when you disable auto-brightness? Check out this article to Adjust the brightness on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

"About brightness levels

iOS devices use an ambient light sensor to adjust brightness levels based on the light conditions around you. The sensor lowers brightness in dark locations and raises brightness in light locations. The auto-brightness feature is on by default.

When auto-brightness is on, you'll notice that the brightness slider on your device moves according to changing light conditions.

You can turn auto-brightness on or off in Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size."

Once you have disabled auto-brightness, Restart your iPhone and test it again.

Does this happen with other pictures you take with your device or only with screenshots?

When you send the screenshots to someone, do they appear to be dark for them as well?

Does this happen with screenshots on all apps or a specific app?

Thanks!

ScreenShots are dark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.