Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update from OS X El Capitan

I have a 2011 iMac and there's plenty of memory but it won't let me update to Sierra, High Sierra or the newest version. I've found the direct downloading links for these OS but it's still not letting me. What else can I try!?! I have a program I'm trying to download and it won't work without Version 10.12 or higher.

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 8:12 AM

The farthest you can go is High Sierra for a 2011 iMac. Using Safari browser only, here is a link to downloading High Sierra. Have at least 25GB available storage on your iMac based on a Get Info of your Macintosh HD, not menu : About This Mac : Storage.

I would boot into Recovery and perform a Disk Utility First Aid on the boot drive, followed by a normal boot, and a final Time Machine backup. If you have a previous installer still present on your Mac, I would either remove it, or move it to external storage — before commencing the upgrade download and installation process.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2020 8:12 AM in response to GoHuskers77

The farthest you can go is High Sierra for a 2011 iMac. Using Safari browser only, here is a link to downloading High Sierra. Have at least 25GB available storage on your iMac based on a Get Info of your Macintosh HD, not menu : About This Mac : Storage.

I would boot into Recovery and perform a Disk Utility First Aid on the boot drive, followed by a normal boot, and a final Time Machine backup. If you have a previous installer still present on your Mac, I would either remove it, or move it to external storage — before commencing the upgrade download and installation process.

Sep 29, 2020 8:19 AM in response to GoHuskers77

Your iMac from 2011 can only upgrade as far as macOS High Sierra.

What happened when you tried clicked on the links.

Open your Safari browser do not use Firefox.

How to upgrade to macOS Sierra - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

In each case go to Section 4 and click on Get macOS Sierra or Get macOS High Sierra.

If you download Sierra you will get the InstallOS.dmg in your Downloads folder.

Open that to get the InstallOS.pkg which you open to get an installation window,

this does not install Sierra but creates theInstall macOS Sierra.app in your Applications folder.

If you choose High Sierra you will be redirected to the App Store from here you

download Install macOS High Sierra.app directly to your Applications folder.

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS ******.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

Can't update from OS X El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.