Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete applications on MacBook?

the mcbook tells me i am low on memory and it doesnt allow me to work. how do i delete applications that i did not put or download or whatever is called.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 12:24 PM

Here's how to free up some storage on your Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996

You can also boot in Safe Mode so macOS can make some maintenance under the hood and clear some old files and cache it doesn't need anymore. It's a bit longer boot. Once it's up you can reboot normally. That might help a bit too.

For that, turn on your Mac and immediately hold Shift.

About apps, some you can just go to Applications folder and drag them to the trash, some might need to be uninstalled by its own installer, so they can properly erase files it might have placed in other folders.

For that kind of uninstallation you better search the internet for the right way to do it, I mean maybe someone have a tutorial for that or even the developer might have the proper solution.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2020 12:24 PM in response to kamila2699

Here's how to free up some storage on your Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996

You can also boot in Safe Mode so macOS can make some maintenance under the hood and clear some old files and cache it doesn't need anymore. It's a bit longer boot. Once it's up you can reboot normally. That might help a bit too.

For that, turn on your Mac and immediately hold Shift.

About apps, some you can just go to Applications folder and drag them to the trash, some might need to be uninstalled by its own installer, so they can properly erase files it might have placed in other folders.

For that kind of uninstallation you better search the internet for the right way to do it, I mean maybe someone have a tutorial for that or even the developer might have the proper solution.

Sep 29, 2020 12:40 PM in response to kamila2699

kamila2699 Said:

"how to delete applications on macbook, it tells me i am low on memory and doesnt allow me to work on comp the mcbook tells me i am low on memory and it doesnt allow me to work. how do i delete applications that i did not put or download or whatever is called."

-------

A Few Thoughts:

• Using an Uninstaller:

Some applications require Uninstaller to successfully be uninstalled. If you do not use an uninstaller, then items can lay about your Mac. Typical items include Microsoft Office and Security Software.

• Uninstall Security Software:

Exclude Security Software from your Mac, because it is likely running in the background, scanning your Mac, as you use it.

• Scan with Malwarebytes for Mac:

If anything to use, it is Malwarebytes for Mac. So, scan with it and remove what is found from the quarantine.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes uninstaller

• Remove Media (Movies and Music):

A typical iTunes TV Show can be in the triple digits of Megabytes. A typical iTunes movie can be 1-3 Gigabytes (1,000-3,000 Megabytes). So, remove those.

• Clear your Caches:

A. System Cache:

Boot into Safe Mode [Hold Down: shift key upon boot and log in] and then wait 30 seconds and restart the Mac, logging in as usual.

B. Safari:

When is the Last Time You Clearing your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari?:

Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data. Whereas Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.  Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

--- Clear The History:

1. Go To: History Menu
  2. Select: Clear History...
  3. Select: “all history” 
  4. Click: Clear History

--- Clear The Cache:

1. Unhide: The Develop Menu
  2. Go To: Develop menu
  3. Select: Empty Caches

How to delete applications on MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.