Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending micro-tonal MIDI data through IAC Driver Bus into Logic Pro X

Hi,

This post is a bit of a hail Mary on my part as I realize it is a bit of a niche problem, I don't expect a lot of support since most people don't use Logic for this purpose... but just in case even one of you miraculously has experience in this matter, here's the situation:

I'm composing a micro-tonal piece for synthesizers (intervals smaller than semi-tones). I generate the notes through a software called Open Music, which is not a DAW but purely a sandbox-type of workplace that allows you to construct algorithms/operations that will calculate nearly anything you ask them to and then convert them into values in midi-cents (a bit like Puredata except with actual staves you can see the notes on).

I have routed Open Music's MIDI output through the IAC Driver Bus and configured the input accordingly in Logic's MIDI Environment window to receive the MIDI data Open Music sends out and play it into the synthesizers I've selected in Logic and it works just fine... except it ignores the micro-tonality and rounds the midi-cents values to the nearest semi-tone.

In Open Music's MIDI settings, the following indication is written:

"Micro-intervals (MIDI player)

Dispatches notes on different MIDI channels when the pitch is not a semi-tone. The number of channels used for micro-tones can be fixed for a 1/8th-tone optimal configuration (4 channels / default), or it can be determined according to the score approximation. With 4 channels, semi-tones remain on ch. 1, 1/8th tones shift to ch.2, 1/4th tones to ch.3 and 3/8th tones to ch.4. "

So, basically the software sends the micro-tonal MIDI values through 4 separate channels, each one responsible for a different category of micro-tones, which means that, in order to hear all the notes, I have to route them through 4 separate tracks on Logic, each one set to a different channel (1 to 4)... except that doesn't work.

Bear in mind, I have very basic understandings of how the MIDI Environment window works and I have tried setting it up these ways:

1. Physical input (IAC Driver Bus) -> Tracks (1 through 4)
  2. Physical input (IAC Driver Bus) -> Sequencer-> Tracks (1 through 4)
  3. Physical input (IAC Driver Bus) -> Channel Splitter -> Channels 1 through 4 connected to Tracks 1 through 4 correspondingly.

None of these configurations worked for me. I can always hear the MIDI played through the synths just fine but they all sound the same: the Micro-tonal values are always rounded to the nearest semi-tone which means that I haven't done the Channel configuration the way I'm supposed to.

Would really appreciate any and all guidance you may have on this particular issue.

Tech specs:

- Macbook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Catalina v.10.15.4)

- Logic Pro X v.10.5.1

- Open Music Release: 6.160000 - 2020/01/13

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 1:45 AM

It works for me.

0. You have to open OM first.

1. You don't have to make any changes in the environment

2. Check in the environment Monitor if you get notes on different midi channels.

3. Go to Project Settings and choose

Project Settings > Recording > “Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording.

4. Create a new Track with a sampler instrument of your choice. And select a sound.

5. Create further 3 "New Tracks with Duplicate Settings"

6. In the Track Inspector, select a unique midi-channel (1-4) for the 4 tracks

7. Tune the instrument #2 + 25 cents, #3 + 50 cents, #4 + 75 cents

8. Record Enable all 4 tracks

9. Start the patch in OM

10. Now you should hear and record the mircrotonal sound on 4 separate tracks.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2020 1:45 AM in response to Wilddrums

It works for me.

0. You have to open OM first.

1. You don't have to make any changes in the environment

2. Check in the environment Monitor if you get notes on different midi channels.

3. Go to Project Settings and choose

Project Settings > Recording > “Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording.

4. Create a new Track with a sampler instrument of your choice. And select a sound.

5. Create further 3 "New Tracks with Duplicate Settings"

6. In the Track Inspector, select a unique midi-channel (1-4) for the 4 tracks

7. Tune the instrument #2 + 25 cents, #3 + 50 cents, #4 + 75 cents

8. Record Enable all 4 tracks

9. Start the patch in OM

10. Now you should hear and record the mircrotonal sound on 4 separate tracks.

Sep 29, 2020 6:47 PM in response to Wilddrums

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, it's OpenMusic from IRCAM. I checked out that link and unfortunately I had already done that, each track is set to the appropriate channel (1 through 4). I should mention however that I'm not even trying to record anything just yet, I'd just want to be able to hear OM's playback through Logic correctly (with the micro-tones) for now.

Sending micro-tonal MIDI data through IAC Driver Bus into Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.