Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add Attachments to Emails

Hello, after the last IOS update, my attachment photos are going into the body of sent email not as attachments. How can I change this??

Thanks

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 7:38 AM

Well, MattNich, while Apple’s Mail App on MacOS allows one to choose between Plain-text vs. Rich-text email formats, iPadOS doesn’t seem to have that option.

Furthermore, on iPadOS, I wasn’t able to find a way to resize images.

I think it is quite reasonable to request more control over the formatting of one’s email.

However, as you can probably quests, I would be against taking a “step” back into the past by requiring everyone to only include images as attachment icons or links.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2020 7:38 AM in response to Halliday

Well, MattNich, while Apple’s Mail App on MacOS allows one to choose between Plain-text vs. Rich-text email formats, iPadOS doesn’t seem to have that option.

Furthermore, on iPadOS, I wasn’t able to find a way to resize images.

I think it is quite reasonable to request more control over the formatting of one’s email.

However, as you can probably quests, I would be against taking a “step” back into the past by requiring everyone to only include images as attachment icons or links.

Oct 6, 2020 11:16 AM in response to MattNich

Hi there, MattNich!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're having issues with attachments in emails being embedded in the message rather than sent as an attachment. This appears to be expected behavior with the Mail app on the iPhone. Check out this article to Add attachments to an email on iPhone.

You're welcome to check out this link for Product Feedback to submit feedback directly to Apple for features you'd like to see in the future.

Have a super day!

Oct 8, 2020 12:25 AM in response to i_rina

Thanks Less,

This issue has only just occurred, I’ve always emailed photos and they come through as an actual attachment. This issue when they are embedded into the email is the orientation is normally always wrong and the size of the photo is way to big for the screen. Surely there is a way to add the photos as actual attachments???

Thanks

Oct 8, 2020 12:52 AM in response to MattNich

MattNich:

Having photos be a part of a rich-text/HTML email document experience has been my norm since the latter ‘80s.

However, for those cases where my email recipients were still back in the old plain-text email mode, I would switch my email mode to pure text, and have all documents, images, etc. as pure attachments.

In point of fact, whether one uses rich-text/HTML email or plain-text, all documents, images, etc. are pure attachments.

The only difference is that the rich-text/HTML email bodies embed “code” (HTML code) to reference the images, etc., within the body of the email (in much the same way as Webpages).

I don’t rightly remember whether Apple’s Mail App ever had a setting to switch between rich-text/HTML vs. plain-text. Maybe there was some defaults setting. I simply don’t remember, since my default modality, regardless of platform, has been rich-text/HTML.

For your sake, however, I’ll take a look around on both iPadOS and MacOS (I don’t have a plain iOS device any more) to see if there are any ways to change back to the ol’ plain-text modality.

Oct 8, 2020 2:37 PM in response to MattNich

Then the answer, MattNich, is not «a “step” back», but, as I stated, «it is quite reasonable to request more control over the formatting of one’s email.»

Such would take care of orientations and sizes of images, as well as how they are integrated into the rest of the email.

This approach can even include choosing to create a plain-text email, wherein images would be given as separate attachments.

Add Attachments to Emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.