Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine cannot connect to airport time capsule: airport time capsule is not available

NEED HELP SOLVING IMAC CATALINA VER 10.15.6

How do I complete my backups if time capsule says your airport time capsule is unavailable. My computer has been warning about this for months, since May, but I am just getting around to it because I also have the cloud and have been using that storage for my iphone and iPad photos.

BTW I noticed an interesting fact: looks like iMac did an auto update on August 13...i was evacuated not sure what was going on with my system and router/comcast during big fire 2 miles from my house but that date shows up on various troublshooting stuff I tried. Not sure if that has any relevance at all.

Thanks for your help, Linda

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 6:10 PM

BTW I noticed an interesting fact: looks like iMac did an auto update on August 13...i was evacuated not sure what was going on with my system and router/comcast during big fire 2 miles from my house but that date shows up on various troublshooting stuff I tried. Not sure if that has any relevance at all.

Just to explain.. backups will still go on locally to the Mac main drive if there is sufficient space. Even if backup to TC stopped in May.. the August evacuation means other issues can arise.

It does.. in all probability power was cut to your house.. mid backup if you did not shut down and remove everything from power.. even left in standby the Mac could still have been updating or backing up when power was pulled.. this results in an incomplete backup which prevents future backups working. Or even loss of internet can affect the system if it was dynamically updating as sometimes happens now.

Edit.. One of the other gurus here might have to help you clear the local snapshots from the drive if clearing the TC does not work.

You might need to clear the Time Capsule first.

Step through this in stages.

Stage 1. Reboot the entire network correctly..

that means power off everything.. any order.. then start up in order.

Modem.. wait 2min

TC.. wait 2min

Other network stuff.. (switches, express etc etc). wait 2min

Clients.. like your Mac..

This is unlikely to work but worth a go.

Stage 2. Reset the TC to factory.

Power off the TC.. hold in reset button and keep holding in while you power on and for another 10sec. Easiest method is to lay the TC down with ports facing up.. carefully press the reset until it clicks but no more.. you don't need 100lb force.. just tiny amount.. and push the power cord in.. without releasing reset for another 10sec.

Open the airport utility and reconfigure the TC .. use short name, no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Password same rules but 8-20 characters.

In the computer remove the currently selected TC disk as backup target and select the renamed TC disk.

Now you will see if Time Machine can get started again.. it will say it is going to do a new backup but will check the disk and if it discovers the backup .. check it and then if bad delete it.. or good and continue the backup.. hope for the later but expect the former. Up to now nothing is affecting the backup on the disk.. the next stage will.

Stage 3. Still Stuck.

Erase the TC from the airport utility.. click the TC icon and click edit in the summary.. go to the disk tab and select erase. All backups in whatever condition and any other files on the TC will be scrapped.

Multiple options are offered.. a quick erase will take just a minute or 2. It does no disk checking. This is fine to simply remove existing file.

Or use the first option secure erase.. this will take many hours.. fully erase the drive including removal and checking of the drive itself.

You can usually then start a new clean backup once completed.

Stage 4. This is more a recommendation.

Time Machine is NOT reliable in Catalina. Worse in the latest patches.

Download and install an alternative like Carbon Copy Cloner.. super duper in another popular one.

I have no links to the company and pay for license like any other customer. But it has never failed on me over several years.. Time Machine has failed many many times.. and that is still using older versions of Mac OS.. BC.. Before Catalina.

NOTE.. AGAIN. if you erase the TC obviously all chance of recovery is over. Since you have been running the Mac for several months with no backup I doubt this is a problem.. but you can also archive the existing files on the TC. You will need a Mac formatted USB drive of equal size to the TC or larger.. Plug it in and start the archive from the disk tab as posted above. It will take up to a day to complete.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2020 6:10 PM in response to lindadaelarosa

Just to explain.. backups will still go on locally to the Mac main drive if there is sufficient space. Even if backup to TC stopped in May.. the August evacuation means other issues can arise.

It does.. in all probability power was cut to your house.. mid backup if you did not shut down and remove everything from power.. even left in standby the Mac could still have been updating or backing up when power was pulled.. this results in an incomplete backup which prevents future backups working. Or even loss of internet can affect the system if it was dynamically updating as sometimes happens now.

Edit.. One of the other gurus here might have to help you clear the local snapshots from the drive if clearing the TC does not work.

You might need to clear the Time Capsule first.

Step through this in stages.

Stage 1. Reboot the entire network correctly..

that means power off everything.. any order.. then start up in order.

Modem.. wait 2min

TC.. wait 2min

Other network stuff.. (switches, express etc etc). wait 2min

Clients.. like your Mac..

This is unlikely to work but worth a go.

Stage 2. Reset the TC to factory.

Power off the TC.. hold in reset button and keep holding in while you power on and for another 10sec. Easiest method is to lay the TC down with ports facing up.. carefully press the reset until it clicks but no more.. you don't need 100lb force.. just tiny amount.. and push the power cord in.. without releasing reset for another 10sec.

Open the airport utility and reconfigure the TC .. use short name, no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Password same rules but 8-20 characters.

In the computer remove the currently selected TC disk as backup target and select the renamed TC disk.

Now you will see if Time Machine can get started again.. it will say it is going to do a new backup but will check the disk and if it discovers the backup .. check it and then if bad delete it.. or good and continue the backup.. hope for the later but expect the former. Up to now nothing is affecting the backup on the disk.. the next stage will.

Stage 3. Still Stuck.

Erase the TC from the airport utility.. click the TC icon and click edit in the summary.. go to the disk tab and select erase. All backups in whatever condition and any other files on the TC will be scrapped.

Multiple options are offered.. a quick erase will take just a minute or 2. It does no disk checking. This is fine to simply remove existing file.

Or use the first option secure erase.. this will take many hours.. fully erase the drive including removal and checking of the drive itself.

You can usually then start a new clean backup once completed.

Stage 4. This is more a recommendation.

Time Machine is NOT reliable in Catalina. Worse in the latest patches.

Download and install an alternative like Carbon Copy Cloner.. super duper in another popular one.

I have no links to the company and pay for license like any other customer. But it has never failed on me over several years.. Time Machine has failed many many times.. and that is still using older versions of Mac OS.. BC.. Before Catalina.

NOTE.. AGAIN. if you erase the TC obviously all chance of recovery is over. Since you have been running the Mac for several months with no backup I doubt this is a problem.. but you can also archive the existing files on the TC. You will need a Mac formatted USB drive of equal size to the TC or larger.. Plug it in and start the archive from the disk tab as posted above. It will take up to a day to complete.

Oct 7, 2020 4:45 PM in response to lindadaelarosa

Which do you choose. The carbon copy or super duper. Is there a difference.

I am trying to be fair.. I use and prefer Carbon Copy Cloner. Many other people have been using SuperDuper since first Mac appeared.. it is very well known and well regarded. IMHO CCC is better.

If you don't have the time to investigate, download CCC and use it .. free for one month to decide if you wish to keep using it.. then pay for license if you wish to continue.

Once you install the software.. you do need to run through the tutorial on how to use CCC to create a backup.

The link is https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/how-set-up-your-first-backup

Note this is based on using a USB drive plugged into your computer.. I suggest if possible you do that.. CCC is better working to a local USB than to network drive.

You can also setup a task to backup to network drive.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/i-want-back-up-my-whole-mac-time-capsule-nas-or-other-network-volume

I recommend you use a sparse bundle to do this.. which means simply selecting sparse bundle as the destination.

That speeds things up and keeps everything working as well as possible.

Here is my setup.

In Tasks column

There is a manual backup which is for test purposes.. CCC Backup Task which is default name. That will only happen when triggered by user.

I have two automatic backups that happen once a day.

daily backup. This is to a local usb drive.

testasus. This is to hard disk hanging off an Asus router but could equally be a Time Capsule. I have highlighted this one.

On the right pane you see 3 boxes

Source.. i.e. the local hard disk..

Destination.. Asus router USB drive sparse bundle. And

Schedule when it will happen daily.

Also note the clock in the top right of the menu area. Task History.

You can also see the task history which will show you how things are going..

Oct 7, 2020 10:22 AM in response to LaPastenague

I choose to omit the outdated time machine for my updated Catalina. Which do you choose. The carbon copy or super duper. Is there a difference. Since I have only used hardware for backups please help what I do next to utilize either software program. I haven’t had a chance to do my own research. Again. I am a full time caretaker of my disabled identical twin. My private time is limited. Any help from you I thank you for in advance.. LINDA

Oct 12, 2020 12:07 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for this step by step help. I may still try first step for the easy fix from TC

for now my twin sister is recovering in the hospital from a 6 hour surgery. She is my everything and I am an emotional person waiting to see if the surgery was successful may take a week. I must put off computer project for a short time. Cannot concentrate. I am also a master gardener and working on my plantings of 30 new plants is keeping me busy and helps with my anxiety.

I will check back in when I actually have worked on your excellent genius help. I do have the cloud as well. It has a complete back up of all hardware❤️

Oct 12, 2020 12:49 PM in response to lindadaelarosa

Computers are the least important things that often consume stupid amounts of time.

Let me swap hats.. from my pastoral care of computers to pastoral care of people. (Retired church pastor).

Be blessed in all your doings.. and best wishes for recovery for your twin. You have been through a crazy amount of stress. Get help if you need it.

time machine cannot connect to airport time capsule: airport time capsule is not available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.