Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage Storage on iCloud

Hi everyone just had a quick question about how iMessage is being stored on iCloud. I recently noticed some of my messages threads are taking up a lot of my iCloud storage, around 10gb across a few threads. I decided to delete all those top conversations and have reduced my total conversations size to 1.7gb, however when I look at what's being backed up to my iCloud, it's still showing the original 10gb being backed before I deleted my top conversations. I was under the assumption like how photos are backed up, that once you delete the content from your phone or other devices, it's deleted on the iCloud backup as well. How can I reduce my actual iMessage backup size? I would like to have those 10 gigs freed up, I'd rather not disable iMessage on iCloud and wait 30 days for it to be deleted.

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 11:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 11:34 AM

If you are using messages in iCloud -- Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support & Store messages in iCloud - Apple Support, then they are not considered a part of the backup -- What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support.

If you wish to reduce the size of your backup -- Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support.

Similar questions

1 reply

iMessage Storage on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.