Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting back up files for over one week! Is there another way?

I am on file number 4,782,613 right now. Here is what I did and I need help to fix it. I have an external Toshiba HD that has 2T capacity. I found that it was nearly full. I only use it for data files, so I check its content. Seems Time Machine found this drive and has been backing up onto the Toshiba. I was able to change that in preferences so it won't do it anymore. I deleted the backup file contents which was a series of folders with dates (I assume back up dates). My trash is now 2.03T full. I told Finder to Empty the Trash. It has now been emptying for over one week! My Toshiba light is flashing like crazy. The Emptying the Trash symbol keeps counting up to 4,783,678 as I type this. Is there another way to delete this much volume? If I cancel it, will all those files be "put back" onto the external HD or sit in the trash? I would appreciate a way to get my iMac back. It is brand new. "Always something." Thank you. M

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 6:25 AM

If you eject and disconnect the external drive you will notice that the files in the trash go away.

If you erase and format the external drive then the files in the trash will also go away.

This is exactly why it's a bad idea to have TM and data files on the same drive.

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 2, 2020 5:27 AM in response to den.thed

This is very helpful, thank you. Question...if I elect item 2, what happens to my trash? Is there another way to empty it? It was 2.03T full and now it is 1.75T full. So it is going down. However, if I cancel the process so I can wipe the external drive, do the files remain in the trash? I have another external drive I could move everything to, and I am inclined to let it continue to run until the trash is gone. However, if there is a system command I can give to clear trash, I am in. Thank you again for responding to me. M

Deleting back up files for over one week! Is there another way?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.