Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual lightning adapter for simultaneous charging/music instrument interface

I am using the lightning connector on my iPad to interface with a musical instrument, but would like to be able to charge the iPad while doing so. Is this possible? I’m leery of simply using a third party lightning splitter made for charging while using headphones, as I’m not certain that will be compatible. Does Apple make or endorse a product that maintains the integrity of the full lightning capability, while allowing charging?

Thanks in advance for any help!

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 8:13 AM

6 replies

Oct 1, 2020 8:18 AM in response to Stillplayin

I presume that you’re attempting to connect an external USB device via Lightning? If so, you’ll want an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

This adapter provides both a USB3 Type-A connector and an auxiliary Lightning port with which you can simultaneously connect your iPad Power Adapter.

Oct 1, 2020 10:55 AM in response to Stillplayin

You will need to confirm the connection requirements of your keyboard.

However, from the perspective of the USB interconnection, then yes - connecting the USB3 Type-A port of the Apple Adapter to a USB Type-B port (be that a mini or micro Type-B connector), the USB bus connection will be correct.

Your Power Adapter is then connected to the auxiliary Lightning port of the Camera Adapter - this providing power to the iPad. It should be noted that the Lightning port of the Adapter can only be used to connect power; this port does not provide a full pass-through of the Lightning connection from the iPad.

Oct 1, 2020 9:44 AM in response to Stillplayin

With the benefit of more information, it’s now possible to offer further comment...

I presume that you are conversant with USB bus architecture.

The Apple Lightning to USB Adapters, of which there are two variants (I gave you details of the more advanced USB3 version) adds a full USB3 connection with a built-in USB Controller.

If your music device-interface provides a USB controller (i.e, presents a USB Type-A interface), then the adapter will not be suitable for your application. By contrast, if the device presents a Type-B interface, then the Apple Adapter will be suitable - as a USB Root controller is required.

Oct 1, 2020 10:24 AM in response to LotusPilot

I’m not as versed in the terminology as you, I apologize for any confusion. I appreciate your efforts to help, as I really am trying learn from your replies, thank you.

My keyboard has MIDI in/out available through DIN connectors, as well as a USB ‘type B’ port capable of transmitting and receiving MIDI. I am using the USB port to transmit MIDI data to and from the keyboard to an iPad pro, and using an app to record and play back the data. I have an Apple lightning to USB adapter which supports this function.

I am looking for a way to simultaneously charge the iPad while doing this.

Thank you sincerely for your help. I wish I was knowledgeable in this area, and appreciate the opportunity to learn from those who are.

Dual lightning adapter for simultaneous charging/music instrument interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.