Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN connected but traffic goes directly

I've set up L2TP VPN connection and it's active. IP address is 10.50.XXX.YYY. When I open Safari and go to Speedtest.net or any other website it shows my real IP I got from ISP 139.28.XXX.YYY. So at least Safari traffic goes aside from VPN.

System:

MacOs Catalina 10.15.7

Safari 14.0

Settings for VPN are:

Send all traffic though VPN - Yes

IPv4 configuration - Use PPP

IPv4 configuration - Automatic

DNS - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Proxy - Autodetection

It was working fine until latest Safari update.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 2:12 AM

With no help from community except of telling me what VPN is and why it is useless I found the answer.

It seems that after latest update, networks order affects VPN as well. To make all traffic go through VPN you should move VPN network to the top of the network list in network settings window. Click gear in the left bottom and modify service order.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2020 2:12 AM in response to napra

With no help from community except of telling me what VPN is and why it is useless I found the answer.

It seems that after latest update, networks order affects VPN as well. To make all traffic go through VPN you should move VPN network to the top of the network list in network settings window. Click gear in the left bottom and modify service order.

Oct 1, 2020 12:44 PM in response to napra

There are two ends to a VPN tunnel. There is the client and the server. You install and configure the client to connect to the server. If installed and configured correctly, all traffic goes through the tunnel to the server. Your local DNS settings are irrelevant if the VPN client and server are correctly configured. Public VPNs provide no security so are of no value.

Oct 2, 2020 8:23 AM in response to napra

napra wrote:

Well that's obvious. If it was not at the top of the list you were not using the VPN and the traffic was being routed to the network you were connected to.

My recommendation about uninstalling the VPN unless it is a private tunnel remains.

Please tell us what benefit you are getting from using a public VPN. Are you in a country that restricts Internet access and you are using the VPN to circumvent your country's laws? That is the only advantage of a public VPN. Your data sent over a public VPN is eventually routed over the open Internet just as if you had done so yourself from home.

VPN connected but traffic goes directly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.