You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB permissions??

My portable hard drive works with every computer except my Mac. Permissions say I have access to read & write but that's not how its working?

Also just to test things out I attempted to change permissions and my Mac is saying I don't have permission to do it??

Brand new Mac. I just bought it and set it up and this is the problem I'm having. I'm the only person who's touched this thing and I've only created one profile. Mine. What gives??

Also just updated to newest iOS so that's not it either. Whats the point of this thing if I can't use USB with it??

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 11:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 11:19 AM

How is the drive formatted?

If it's formatted as an NTFS volume macOS can read from it but can not write to it. It's not a permissions issue.

macOS can not natively write to a drive formatted as NTFS.

3 replies

USB permissions??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.