Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get iMovie to work on macOS High Sierra!

I am trying to install iMovie for my MacBook Air that I accidentally wiped off (but was able to reinstall macOS High Sierra without built-in apps included). And also, I had a different Apple ID that was the MacBook owner's ID. How do I reinstall iMovie on this device?

By the way, the MacBook's highest OS it can run is High Sierra, so don't say to update to Catalina.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 6:25 PM

Hi, Nacroni-2019,

The different Apple I.D. might cause some problems. Try the below procedure using the prior owner's Apple I.D. if you have it. If that doesn't work use your Apple I.D.

To update/redownload iMovie 10 where you have deleted the app, sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

Also, since you had iMovie on your Mac at one time, you may be able to restore it from your Time Machine backup, or other backup, if you have either of those.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2020 6:25 PM in response to Community User

Hi, Nacroni-2019,

The different Apple I.D. might cause some problems. Try the below procedure using the prior owner's Apple I.D. if you have it. If that doesn't work use your Apple I.D.

To update/redownload iMovie 10 where you have deleted the app, sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

Also, since you had iMovie on your Mac at one time, you may be able to restore it from your Time Machine backup, or other backup, if you have either of those.

-- Rich

Can't get iMovie to work on macOS High Sierra!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.