Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro will not restart

My Macbook Pro with High Sierra version 10.13.6 will not restart when I select that option from dropdown menu. How can I fix this issue? Update isn't able to complete. I can shut down and start the computer, with power button.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 11:09 AM

I

SnickZ. wrote:

Greetings, CoJo07.

It appears that you're unable to restart your MacBook Pro. You can turn it off and on using the power button, but not from the menu. You also mention that the update won't complete, and we're glad to help with this.

See if you're able to locate the install application in your Application folder or Launch Pad. If it's there, move it to the Trash and empty it. See if your MacBook Pro will restart. If it won't, restart it manually.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support -- Depending on which type of MacBook Pro you own, reset the system management controller (SMC). See if your Mac will restart now. If it does, restart the update.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery  - Apple Support -- If you're still unable to restart your Mac, turn it off manually. Then use the Option>Command>R keys to start in macOS Recovery. This will update your MacBook Pro to the latest macOS that's compatible.

Let us know how that goes.

Take care.

I tried the reinstall again and it solved the restart issue.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 11:09 AM in response to SnickZ.

I

SnickZ. wrote:

Greetings, CoJo07.

It appears that you're unable to restart your MacBook Pro. You can turn it off and on using the power button, but not from the menu. You also mention that the update won't complete, and we're glad to help with this.

See if you're able to locate the install application in your Application folder or Launch Pad. If it's there, move it to the Trash and empty it. See if your MacBook Pro will restart. If it won't, restart it manually.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support -- Depending on which type of MacBook Pro you own, reset the system management controller (SMC). See if your Mac will restart now. If it does, restart the update.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery  - Apple Support -- If you're still unable to restart your Mac, turn it off manually. Then use the Option>Command>R keys to start in macOS Recovery. This will update your MacBook Pro to the latest macOS that's compatible.

Take care.

I tried the reinstall again and it solved the restart issue.

Oct 7, 2020 10:23 AM in response to CoJo07

Greetings, CoJo07.

Take care.

Macbook Pro will not restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.