You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have my daughter’s old MacBook Pro and unable to reinstall Mac OS X after erasing data. Begat can I do? Error message says cannot install at this time. Try again later”

I am trying to reinstall Mac OS X after erasing data.

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 2:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 9:35 PM

You don't mention the exact model of the laptop or which version of macOS you are trying to reinstall or which version of macOS was installed on the laptop.

If the laptop had macOS 10.12.6+ installed at some point in its history, then you can try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to reinstall macOS. It is best to connect the laptop directly to the router using an Ethernet cable and any necessary adapters for a faster and more reliable connection as it will also eliminate any WiFi issues. Make sure the date and time on the laptop is also set properly.

If you have access to another Mac compatible with an OS this laptop can run, then you can create a bootable macOS USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Is OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard compatible with your laptop? If so, then either boot an OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD if it shipped with your laptop or use a retail version of OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD (sometimes the retail version may not work with some systems that shipped with a later version of OSX 10.6 from the factory so the exact model of laptop is very important).

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2020 9:35 PM in response to Bootlum

You don't mention the exact model of the laptop or which version of macOS you are trying to reinstall or which version of macOS was installed on the laptop.

If the laptop had macOS 10.12.6+ installed at some point in its history, then you can try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to reinstall macOS. It is best to connect the laptop directly to the router using an Ethernet cable and any necessary adapters for a faster and more reliable connection as it will also eliminate any WiFi issues. Make sure the date and time on the laptop is also set properly.

If you have access to another Mac compatible with an OS this laptop can run, then you can create a bootable macOS USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Is OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard compatible with your laptop? If so, then either boot an OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD if it shipped with your laptop or use a retail version of OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD (sometimes the retail version may not work with some systems that shipped with a later version of OSX 10.6 from the factory so the exact model of laptop is very important).

I have my daughter’s old MacBook Pro and unable to reinstall Mac OS X after erasing data. Begat can I do? Error message says cannot install at this time. Try again later”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.