Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make room for Time Machine?

Time Machine tells me the disk is full ("Backup Failed. There isn't enough space on "TM".

I notice that when I open Time Machine, the latest screen is from two years ago!!!

I do have an external disk, set up (I thought) for Time Machine and Super Duper (an alternate back up).

I have looked in my files 'size' but do not find any even as large as 1 GB.

Here's my set up. What do I do?

MacBook Air 13″, 10.15

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 4:43 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 9, 2020 5:21 AM in response to David Grant

David,

This article has information about what an APFS volume does that you may find helpful:

See if your Mac shares space across APFS volumes in System Information - Apple Support

"macOS 10.14 or later uses a file system called Apple File System (APFS), which allows space to be shared between volumes on a disk. If a single APFS partition (or container) has multiple volumes, the container’s free space is shared and can be allocated to any of the volumes as needed."

If you would still like to speak with Apple, you can contact Apple Support for additional assistance. 

Regards.

Oct 7, 2020 5:26 PM in response to Alwayswantingtohelp1

Yes, I have deleted files. I do not find any large ones now.

I do have a second log-in that is left over from ... I think when this problem started ... when Apple Support (on phone) walked me through creating a totally separate login with ALL of my documents.

I'm also very confused about the APFS Volume stuff in Utility Disk. I created 'something' called Time Machine APFS.

I think I need a talk through. Can that be arranged?

How to make room for Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.