Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tags and finder search not working after clean install of macOS

When I click on a tag on the sidebar none of my files appear even they they clearly have the relevant coloured tag. It seems to work fine for newly tagged files but for the hundreds of files previously tagged it won't appear.

Finder searches do not work as well. Only some files appear but not the one that I need.

Everything was working fine before the clean install of macOS and restoring files only from a Time Machine backup.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.0

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 6:36 AM

The Spotlight index is recreated when you update. It may have failed to complete correctly after the update.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

4 replies

Oct 2, 2020 7:45 AM in response to erahi

The Spotlight reserved word in English speaking countries for tags is tag, or kMDItemUserTags, but in German speaking countries it is only the latter.

I have a PDF document on my Desktop with three custom name tags assigned to it. Formally, I could find it with:

kind:pdf (tag:location AND tag:managerie AND tag:unique)

but I know I can find it specifically with just one, or possibly two tag names.

kind:pdf (tag:location AND tag:managerie)

If you perform a clean install, and then restore from a recent Time Machine backup, those files previously tagged will be restored with active tags on them.

Tags and finder search not working after clean install of macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.