After migration from MacBook Pro 13 to MacBook Pro 14, Tags search doesn't work

After migration from MacBook Pro 13 to MacBook Pro 14, using migration assist, I can't search files using Tags

Moreover, Finder doesn't show my folder then I enter Folder Name in Spotlight, although I see this Folder on my Desktop

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 2:59 AM

Hi!

Yes, I’ve heard of this problem. You might want to try rebuilding the Spotlight index to solve the problem with finding tags and viewing folders in Finder. A user solved a similar problem by rebuilding the Spotlight index using System Preferences/Spotlight/Privacy - dragging the Outlook profile folder into it, then deleting it and waiting for it to be indexed again.

If the problem persists, I recommend that you contact Apple Support.

I hope I helped you!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2023 2:59 AM in response to tarlan257

Hi!

Yes, I’ve heard of this problem. You might want to try rebuilding the Spotlight index to solve the problem with finding tags and viewing folders in Finder. A user solved a similar problem by rebuilding the Spotlight index using System Preferences/Spotlight/Privacy - dragging the Outlook profile folder into it, then deleting it and waiting for it to be indexed again.

If the problem persists, I recommend that you contact Apple Support.

I hope I helped you!

Apr 16, 2023 9:13 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi!

I used Migration Assistant using wi-fi transfer

Thanks for your help, I checked Folder, This Mac was checked before

Finally I resolved the problem, following this guide - Повторная индексация Spotlight на компьютере Mac - Служба поддержки Apple (RU)

I choose Macintosh HD and reindex Spotlight - after reboot everything is OK

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Apr 16, 2023 3:40 AM in response to tarlan257

You didn't mention how you migrated from one Mac to the other, but you may need to reset the Finder Settings > Advanced panel:

So if you start your Spotlight search on the Desktop via a Finder Window search field, then the rightmost selection will be "Desktop" and the left "This Mac." If you started your search from within a folder, then that folder name would be rightmost…

You will need to confirm that the preferred Spotlight search results categories are selected, then Spotlight re-index the drive on the new Mac and wait a few minutes before resuming the search.

Searching for single-tagged files, or files with multiple tags on them would be in the following format:

kind:pdf tag:important
kind:word +(.docx) (tag:blue OR tag:managerie OR tag:green)

The keyword tag is interchangeable with the keyword kMDItemUserTags where the localized language has a different definition for the word tag.

After migration from MacBook Pro 13 to MacBook Pro 14, Tags search doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.