Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no sound with new 4k apple tv

Hi,

I have old tv 8-9 years old,

I had Apple TV for few years but today I bought new 4k Apple TV and when I connect to tv I don't have any sound.

I bought new cable as well still no sound.

Picture is perfect

any idea why is not working ?

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 12:40 PM

If you use your TV speakers for audio, then set your Apple TV audio format to stereo.

If you use a surround sound setup with optical cable, then set your Apple TV audio format to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Apple TV has three audio formats:

• Automatic “Best quality”: PCM Multichannel, up to 7.1
  • Dolby Digital 5.1: compressed surround sound, downmixed from the source audio
  • Stereo: PCM uncompressed two channel audio, downmixed from the source audio

Use option (2) or (3) as applicable, when the first/default isn’t supported by your equipment.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2020 12:40 PM in response to Kasia34

If you use your TV speakers for audio, then set your Apple TV audio format to stereo.

If you use a surround sound setup with optical cable, then set your Apple TV audio format to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Apple TV has three audio formats:

• Automatic “Best quality”: PCM Multichannel, up to 7.1
  • Dolby Digital 5.1: compressed surround sound, downmixed from the source audio
  • Stereo: PCM uncompressed two channel audio, downmixed from the source audio

Use option (2) or (3) as applicable, when the first/default isn’t supported by your equipment.

no sound with new 4k apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.