Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sign out and "rebooting" iCloud on a laptop not working?

Hello, I was having issues with Photos updating with recent photos I took on my iPhone. I proceeded to sign out of iCloud on the laptop and attempt to start fresh.

I also am being asked to sign into iCloud a second time to "Update Apple Settings" and when I do, that message does not go away.

Admittedly the size of my iCloud data and my photo library is extremely large but is there any way to check progress and if signing in again is actually working? Keychain and iCloud files are empty. Photos just displays "updating" but there are NO progress bars anywhere to indicate that anything is happening in the background. Activity Monitor also seems like very little is going on.

Did I really screw something up by signing out and signing back in? Other services like Mail and Messages seem to have plugged back in just fine.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 6:46 AM

In Mac OS catalina if an error shows some account services will not be available until you sign in again ( update Apple ID settings ) .

Open system preferences , click on Apple ID icon and again click on iCloud in the side bar , it prompts to enter the Apple ID and password ( enter the password ) , after that a pop up window appears to upgrade with 2FA , click on continue , the circle in front of keychain box started rotating setting up , after a while it prompted to enter the admin password and finally the box of keychain will get checked the small circle rotating in front of keychain setting up will disappear ,

You have to convert secondary authentication account to 2FA , the error will go away .

If the trusted number is not yet added verify it , click on name , password , email in the side bar , click on edit see these articles .

Change your Apple ID information

Change Overview preferences for your Apple ID on Mac ...support.apple.com › en-in › guide › mac-help › Mac

Change Password & Security preferences for your Apple ID on Mac

Change Payment & Shipping preferences for your Apple ID on Mac

Change Media & Purchases preferences for your Apple ID on ...support.apple.com › en-in › guide › mac-help

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2020 6:46 AM in response to Timothy Letscher

In Mac OS catalina if an error shows some account services will not be available until you sign in again ( update Apple ID settings ) .

Open system preferences , click on Apple ID icon and again click on iCloud in the side bar , it prompts to enter the Apple ID and password ( enter the password ) , after that a pop up window appears to upgrade with 2FA , click on continue , the circle in front of keychain box started rotating setting up , after a while it prompted to enter the admin password and finally the box of keychain will get checked the small circle rotating in front of keychain setting up will disappear ,

You have to convert secondary authentication account to 2FA , the error will go away .

If the trusted number is not yet added verify it , click on name , password , email in the side bar , click on edit see these articles .

Change your Apple ID information

Change Overview preferences for your Apple ID on Mac ...support.apple.com › en-in › guide › mac-help › Mac

Change Password & Security preferences for your Apple ID on Mac

Change Payment & Shipping preferences for your Apple ID on Mac

Change Media & Purchases preferences for your Apple ID on ...support.apple.com › en-in › guide › mac-help

Oct 3, 2020 11:15 AM in response to Timothy Letscher

To add to the mystery, I get an error when trying to access iCloud in Safari.

However, I can connect to iCloud using Chrome or Firefox. Things I've tried turning on/off: My employer's VPN, force quitting Safari-related tasks in Activity Monitor. I suspect something's amiss in the System Preferences but have no clue how to fix it.

Sign out and "rebooting" iCloud on a laptop not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.