Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB C Cables

When syncing my 2020 iPad Pro with my 2017 iMac through a Satechi Hub, it will only connect when the USB C Cable at the Hub end is inserted in one direction. If that end of the cable is reversed the connection is lost. It makes me really wonder if the USB C cable is truly reversible? Additionally, if I plug a SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD into the same USB C slot on the hub it will work with the cable inserted in both directions. Hmmm, anyone seen something similar to this?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 11:15 AM

2 replies

Oct 3, 2020 12:36 PM in response to Lon3lyWanderer

I agree.....I never heard of this before myself until I plugged in my brand new 202 iPad Pro. I did all of the typical troubleshooting....

• Insured all software was up to date
  • Tried 4 different cables
  • Tried each cable in both directions - problem always occurs on Hub end only
  • Was able to sync by iPhone XS to the same USB C jack on the Hub using a USB C/Lightning cable - all worked fine
  • Replicated the problem on another computer, a 2018 MacBook Pro. When the cable is inserted directly into the Thunderbolt port on both computers it works perfect in all directions and flipped any way. Insert the Hub into the chain, using the same cable, and the problem again only occurs in one configuration - flip it over and everything works perfect.
  • Ordered a replacement Hub since it was brand new. The second one performed EXACTLY the same way.
  • Ordered a new Hub from a competing manufacturer, i.e., similar port configuration and when connecting to the USB C jack with the iPad Pro, the EXACT same problem occured.

I am beginning to think these USB C cable are "smart" cables, or in other words there is a chip inside that is not programmed properly for all situations and configurations.

USB C Cables

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.