Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch SE won’t swipe up or down, restart or reset doesn't help

Hi

I have brand new Apple Watch SE 40mm. After few hours of using, it did not react to swipe down or up to show notifications and control center respectively. When I turn off the watch via holding the button, then it is working few hours, after some time they again stop reasting to swipe up or down. Everything else is working, the up and bottom areas are reacting on touch when in menu etc.

I tried erase the watch, pair again and restore from backup, problem is still the same. The WatchOS is 7.0.1.

Is this software or hardware issue? Should I wait for new version of WatchOS or return watch to seller (I still can)?

thanks

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 4:06 PM

Found solution:

Short answer: This is a hardware fault

Explanation:

After restoring from backup, I initialized the watch as a new watch, the slide up/down issue was there again (After a few hours) and I found another issue, after initializing the watch, there was 1 watchface on the watch, but 0 watchfaces in the app on iPhone. I created and added new watchface on iPhone, it was not transfered to the watch, until I restarted both devices.

From my IT point of view, the slide up/down process in the watch was crashing after few hours, it looks like damaged memory (RAM) or storage (flash) in the watch, the same way as it can fail on your PC. Just here it was from factory, so looks like Apple is not making enough testing of produced chips, because it's cheaper replace the product than make verification of manufactured chips. Unfortunatelly this is what Samsu ng is doing the whole time, it's a shame Apple is doing this now too. :(

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2020 4:06 PM in response to Peter__SK

Found solution:

Short answer: This is a hardware fault

Explanation:

After restoring from backup, I initialized the watch as a new watch, the slide up/down issue was there again (After a few hours) and I found another issue, after initializing the watch, there was 1 watchface on the watch, but 0 watchfaces in the app on iPhone. I created and added new watchface on iPhone, it was not transfered to the watch, until I restarted both devices.

From my IT point of view, the slide up/down process in the watch was crashing after few hours, it looks like damaged memory (RAM) or storage (flash) in the watch, the same way as it can fail on your PC. Just here it was from factory, so looks like Apple is not making enough testing of produced chips, because it's cheaper replace the product than make verification of manufactured chips. Unfortunatelly this is what Samsu ng is doing the whole time, it's a shame Apple is doing this now too. :(

Apple Watch SE won’t swipe up or down, restart or reset doesn't help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.