Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New LG CX OLED Audio skipping

Got a new LG CX OLED 55 inch yesterday. I hooked it up to my 4th gen Apple tv. Now picture quality is great, but my audio keeps cutting in and out, like it stuttering. I bought a good quality HDMI cable and have since actually tried several HDMI cables and they all do the same thing. I also tried all 4 HDMI ports on the TV same result. If I use the build in app on the TV using WEBPOS they are fine no audio issues. I have tried every option in the TV for sound and in Apple TV same issue. It's like apple TV isn'y able to keep up with the audio or something. Any idea what would cause audio to cut in and out? I posted over at Apple TV reddit but no one has a clue LOL, seems like I am the only person having this issue. Running the latest official version for Apple TV didn't work also downloaded the latest beta version that didn't work either. If you go on Reddit apparently there is a ton of people having the same issue with Apple TV and this LG TV. pretty sure it's an Apple TV problem though because all my other streaming devices work perfectly fine with the LG TV.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 4:14 PM

Okay I pretty much figured it out. If you watch any video that has Dolby Atmos sound that's when it's going to screw up. So if you watch a video on Netflix that has Dolby Atmos sound you'll be fine. As soon as you exit out of that and say launch a video on YouTube or any other video type app that isn't Dolby Atmos enabled that's when the audio will start skipping. Somehow when you try to play a video that isn't Dolby Atmos enabled after just watching one that was it screws up the audio. So what you have to do is basically restart the Apple TV turn your TV off then turn it back on and then you can watch anything that isn't Dolby Atmos enabled and the audio will be perfectly fine. You can go into Netflix again and watch a video that has Dolby Atmos sound but once you're finished you have to restart your Apple device turn your TV off and turn it back on then normal audio will be fine. so anytime you see the Dolby Atmos sound Logo Pop up in the top right hand corner you'll know that when you're done watching whatever you're watching you'll have to restart Apple TV and your TV unless you're going to another video that is Dolby Atmos enabled then you'll be fine it's only when you go to regular audio that it starts to screw up. I know this isn't a fix it's more like a Band-Aid. But the problem definitely is software based and it's from the Apple TV. none of my other streaming devices and I've tried almost all of them do this only Apple TV. If others are having the same issue you should try what I suggested and try duplicating what I did. I'm going to send this off to Apple tech support as well

Similar questions

85 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2020 4:14 PM in response to Farp96

Okay I pretty much figured it out. If you watch any video that has Dolby Atmos sound that's when it's going to screw up. So if you watch a video on Netflix that has Dolby Atmos sound you'll be fine. As soon as you exit out of that and say launch a video on YouTube or any other video type app that isn't Dolby Atmos enabled that's when the audio will start skipping. Somehow when you try to play a video that isn't Dolby Atmos enabled after just watching one that was it screws up the audio. So what you have to do is basically restart the Apple TV turn your TV off then turn it back on and then you can watch anything that isn't Dolby Atmos enabled and the audio will be perfectly fine. You can go into Netflix again and watch a video that has Dolby Atmos sound but once you're finished you have to restart your Apple device turn your TV off and turn it back on then normal audio will be fine. so anytime you see the Dolby Atmos sound Logo Pop up in the top right hand corner you'll know that when you're done watching whatever you're watching you'll have to restart Apple TV and your TV unless you're going to another video that is Dolby Atmos enabled then you'll be fine it's only when you go to regular audio that it starts to screw up. I know this isn't a fix it's more like a Band-Aid. But the problem definitely is software based and it's from the Apple TV. none of my other streaming devices and I've tried almost all of them do this only Apple TV. If others are having the same issue you should try what I suggested and try duplicating what I did. I'm going to send this off to Apple tech support as well

Oct 5, 2020 5:13 PM in response to cozie88

Same issue. Apple TV has an audio switching bug. Choosing Atmos as the audio format causes other (maybe all other) audio formats to experience sound drops - like cycling the mute button on and off every second. Even the Apple TV app interface suffers these sound drops - when using either the internal tv speaker or external sound bar. (LG CX and Sonos Arc)

Today’s update did nothing to help. The only fix is to leave ATV in the 5.1 audio format or play a 5.1 audio file after playing an atmos file. This blows.

Oct 6, 2020 7:13 PM in response to Farp96

Actually I've narrowed it down to just basically turning the TV off then turning it back on seems to resync the audio. You don't have to restart Apple TV just turn the TV off then turn it back on. At least in my case that's how it is. Of course you could always just disable Dolby Atmos and not have to do that at all. I'm running the latest beta of tvos 14.2 and the issue is still there so there's that. Pretty sure it's a software issue somewhere within Apple TV as none of my other streaming devices have this issue. I even bought the certified Apple HDMI cable thinking that would alleviate the problem got it yesterday tried it still did the same thing audio gets out of sync after viewing Adobe Atmos audio and then reverting back to normal audio. I even saw report on Reddit who has the Sony OLED tv with Apple TV and it also does the same thing with Dolby Atmos so it's definitely an Apple TV issue.

1. Turn off your TV turn it back on again we'll fix the problem

2. Just disabled Dolby Atmos (which you shouldn't have to do)

Curious to see what the new Apple TV they announced next week is going to be like.

Oct 15, 2020 10:13 AM in response to Farp96

I have this exact same problem and find that powering off the TV will work 75% of the time. Sometimes, however, it takes me unplugging the TV from the wall and doing a full power down. This latter option has fixed it every time. It is a real pain, especially for my wife and children who aren't able to perform these fixes. It makes little sense to them.

I am glad to hear I am not crazy. I was about to attempt a replacement of all my HDMI cables. I was also worries that it was my new TV.

Nov 7, 2020 7:02 AM in response to 91hybrid

Okay. I thought I was the only one. I just got the 65” OLED CX and when the audio skipping started, it drove me nuts. My 65” LG UHD never had an issue. We shouldn’t have to reset the tv/ATV each time we switch audio formats. Apple, send a patch and fix the problem. I’m half tempted to hook up my Roku, because with that, I never have issues.

Nov 13, 2020 1:38 PM in response to Farp96

Wow, am I ever glad I found this thread! I was having the same skipping audio problem with Apple TV hooked to new LG CX 48 Oled.

I have both TV and Apple TV puck plugged into same switchable power strip so turning strip off & on is now my fix.

Prior to that much frustration including purchase of new 8K HDMI cables from Monoprice that didn’t fix.

Thanks to all for sharing. Hope there is a future software update to address this inconvenience.

Nov 14, 2020 8:34 AM in response to Farp96

Same issue here as well but with the 65" GX OLED. One workaround I have found that works for me: find a program that is 5.1 from netflix (usually something from my "Watch It Again" list) for a few seconds and the dropout is gone. Super frustrating from the most expensive streaming box on the planet!

Nov 15, 2020 5:25 PM in response to dtothep

ok today i have receive my LG GX 65” OLED and LG Sn11rg dolby atmos sound bar and when playing dolby atmos on the apple tv the audio start skipping around 3 min then totally muted then i try play the apple tv app from the TV itself and i notice sometimes it have stuttering for 0.2 sec but not always. Not sure its the eARC issue or what but at the Apple TV 4k i have totally unable to watch any dolby atmos content. The cable i use its belkin HDMI 2.1 cable that run 40gbps

Nov 17, 2020 12:20 PM in response to garyinjax

Apple support pushed me in the direction of LG support, today. I'm not overly optimistic Apple plans to fix it. For what it's worth, it doesn't happen on my old Samsung F8500 plasma. Just the LG CX. Not sure what to make of that, but the fact that the LG CX can handle the same content format from other playback devices without issue does seem to point to Apple

New LG CX OLED Audio skipping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.