Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Apple continually tell me that I can get one year free subscription but every time I try and register it tells me that it is only for 7 days or a month. I have never been able to confirm that I have the year's free subscription.

How do I get the Apple TV free for one year as Apple continually say I can get. Very frustrating as I've tried on and off since December 2019

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 11:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 11:42 PM

Because you have not learned how to redeem the free offer. Remember you only have 90 days to do so if you have purchased a qualifying Apple product. If you feel you qualify follow the steps in Apple TV+ One Year Offer If your 90 days has expired or you have not bought a qualifying product, then you are out of luck.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2020 11:42 PM in response to Hoppity77

Because you have not learned how to redeem the free offer. Remember you only have 90 days to do so if you have purchased a qualifying Apple product. If you feel you qualify follow the steps in Apple TV+ One Year Offer If your 90 days has expired or you have not bought a qualifying product, then you are out of luck.

Oct 4, 2020 9:47 AM in response to Hoppity77

Is there a reason you did not call AppleCare when you began having the issue? That's what it there for. You have many ways to get support from Apple including these forums, AppleCare, your local reseller or Apple Store, the Internet etc... All Apple (or any corporation for that matter) can do is to provide you with multiple sources of support, make them broadly known (they have for well over 25 years) and the rest is up to the end user to take advantage of the support available to them.

There was no false advertising, however you may not have found the directions to redeem or misunderstood them.

AppleCare Contact Info

Oct 4, 2020 8:33 AM in response to Vancouver22

Many thanks for you explanation which makes sense right now. It does not, however, explain why I pavement been able to do this while I was still within the 90 day period. In December 2019 I purchased an Apple MacBook Air and then at the end of June this year I purchased an Apple TV 4k. I have been trying on and off since December to take advantage of the years free offer and have never been successful. Each time it has come up with an option for a period anywhere between 7 days and 3 months. My daughter-in-law has had the same problem in a different country so it is not just me who has had the problem. I must admit that this smacks of false advertising and ws one of the main reasons why I got the Apple TV. Unfortunately because of lockdown restrictions I have been unable to get into the Apple store near me. Very disappointing.

Oct 4, 2020 8:42 AM in response to Hoppity77

The standard trial is for 7 days, and the offer is for an extended 12 month period. That offer is then valid for 3 months and then expires. The offer only applies to the first product that is purchased, so the Apple TV purchase wouldn't have granted a new offer. If for some reason it isn't showing then you would need to contact Apple so they can help redeem. However, you are now well passed the 3 months so it's a moot point.

Oct 4, 2020 10:36 AM in response to Hoppity77

The free trial is real. Many of us are using it. There is a problem for some setting it up. Quite often the reason ends up being they didn’t try to activate it in time, or never even tried at all, thinking it gets set up on their accounts automatically. Or they didn’t follow instructions, etc.

We are not Apple employees and can’t go into your account. At this stage you’ve missed the deadline twice. For both new devices (although it can only be used once). I’m sorry. The only advice we can offer is to Contact Support to see if they will make an exception.

Why does Apple continually tell me that I can get one year free subscription but every time I try and register it tells me that it is only for 7 days or a month. I have never been able to confirm that I have the year's free subscription.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.